Ignition upgrade for 73-78 Hilux/Chinooks

I've had a 74' and a 75 Hilux, the 74 is old-fashoned points & condenser, the 75 was a hybrid ignition, (had the ignitor mounted on the coil, but kept the points to trigger it)

I got the electronic trigger (reluctor & pickup) from a late-70's Celicia, it's a direct, drop-in replacement for the breaker plate with the points/condenser. I didn't have the later (truly electronic) igniter, but I found a MUCH better substitute (see attached article).

Most every GM car/truck from 75 to about 80 came with HEI (high energy electronic/breakerless ignition), that like a GAZILLION cars! The ignition module sits under the distributor cap on the V8's 2 screws and 4 terminals (later ones are the same, but have a 5th terminal for ignition timing retard, either should work) I mounted mine on the fenderwell near the distributor. the wiring's the same, you have to look-up the wiring in a GM manual

and the GM module is compatable with Toys that use the ignitor, and probably easier to get when it dies in the boonies. it's like $15 at Rock Auto

https://www.agriculture.com/machinery/repair-maintenance/checking-gms-high-energy-ignition-module-dwellGM-HEI-module.png.464a2ffeb1f8d27956bb0a957787903d.png

Have you actually run the engine with this Rube Goldberg setup? Not just start and run, but through all rpm brackets?

DUI Corp makes a custom distributor for Toyota 4 cylinder engines. 18R, 20R and 22R. They use gm HEI components. HEI requires special wiring and distributor cap. The system sells for about $350.00. Your engine would require many more upgrades than what your proposing. Good luck!!!!

also, the wiring is available by googling images for "GM HEI wiring"

and if you really, REALLY want to get into it...

http://nebula.wsimg.com/5956cdbfbf7fc2e9bc4c33682dbb7427?AccessKeyId=967E22DE049163134A29&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

BLA BLA BLA. Have you installed this system? and does it work? Answers to these questions please.🙂

you sound like you've done your homework, but my 75 Hilux disagrees. it uses the stock Toyota coil, with the resistor, and had been all over south Texas. That PDF I linked to has a mind-bending explanation of the GM HEI.   I think it's halarious that Triumph did the same thing, but disguised it with a case, and a LUCAS part # and price $$$.

Most of the value comes when you're  in the Mohave in your Chinook with the igniter setup, and it no-starts. The local parts store is more  likely to stock GM's module.

5 minutes ago, henrydedrick said:

you sound like you've done your homework, but my 75 Hilux disagrees. it uses the stock Toyota coil, with the resistor, and had been all over south Texas. That PDF I linked to has a mind-bending explanation of the GM HEI.   I think it's halarious that Triumph did the same thing, but disguised it with a case, and a LUCAS part # and price $$$.

Most of the value comes when you're  in the Mohave in your Chinook with the igniter setup, and it no-starts. The local parts store is more  likely to stock GM's module.

So... does this mean you’ve built and installed this system? Or are you simply regurgitating articles you have read? Again just answer my two simple questions: have you built this system, and does it work?

question #1 Have I built this system?   Well, General Motors did the hard part, but yes, I went to the pick n' pull, got the distributor guts from a later Celica (with the later breakerless setup) had lunch, went home, installed the parts in my 74's breaker-point distributor, walked over to my 1976 oldsmobile Cutlass, rummaged around in the glove compartment, got the module that I had long-ago replaced (thinking it was bad, it wasn't and I hung onto it) wired it up to the Toyota coil and  ballast resistor like on the internet, from where all the other guys did. mounted the module on the fender with heat-sink compound. and it worked.

Question #2  Yes, I ran the truck as a DD fixing photo labs all over south texas, no probs. (except with the weak-behind automatic I stuck myself with...)no more setting breaker points.

AGAIN, my point is, if you're in east bumfuck AZ, and you think that your breakerless ignitor in your Toyota is bad, you have an alternative to the OEM ignitor, which may be expensive (not $15) and hard to get (because they didn't make 7,850,783 of them, like the General did)

• 2 weeks later...

question #1 Have I built this system?   Well, General Motors did the hard part, but yes, I went to the pick n' pull, got the distributor guts from a later Celica (with the later breakerless setup) had lunch, went home, installed the parts in my 74's breaker-point distributor, walked over to my 1976 oldsmobile Cutlass, rummaged around in the glove compartment, got the module that I had long-ago replaced (thinking it was bad, it wasn't and I hung onto it) wired it up to the Toyota coil and  ballast resistor like on the internet, from where all the other guys did. mounted the module on the fender with heat-sink compound. and it worked.

Question #2  Yes, I ran the truck as a DD fixing photo labs all over south texas, no probs. (except with the weak-behind automatic I stuck myself with...)no more setting breaker points.

AGAIN, my point is, if you're in east bumfuck AZ, and you think that your breakerless ignitor in your Toyota is bad, you have an alternative to the OEM ignitor, which may be expensive (not $15) and hard to get (because they didn't make 7,850,783 of them, like the General did)

IMG_0669[1].JPG

IMG_0658[1].JPG

IMG_0662[1].JPG

IMG_0664[1].JPG