Hey guys - ‘91 warrior auto v6

runs like a top and shifts well through all gears.. I can shift from ‘D’ into ‘2’ using the column shifter when I need it .. and beyond the ‘2’ there is an ‘L’ which I presume is 1st gear, but my shifter won’t budge beyond ‘2?’ 

would really like to use ‘L’ for low speed engine braking at times on steep slopes but I’m not sure if this is factory setting or if I can adjust something to gain access?

again, all gears wrk and shift well, including from 1-2 and vice-versa, and the dash shift indicator appears well calibrated 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 91 odyssey but also v6 auto. Mine also has issues getting into L. With mine at least if you pull the lever all the way down and jiggle it then it will shift into L. Assuming linkage needs adjusting but haven’t gotten around to it yet 

• 1 month later...

This happened on my 94 Warrior.  While playing with the lever (at home)suddenly it would not shift at all.  The linkage had come apart at the lower pivot.  I go a new bushing, two flat washers, and a locking pin for less than $10 at my local Toyota dealer.  Now works just right all the time.

• 8 months later...

Take the bottom cover off the steering column, and look up in there, you'll find a tab thingy that stops the shifter from going into low. I ground it down and now shifts to low fine.

Don't know why it was made this way, maybe so no inadvertent shifts to 1st when going 55.  It recently saved me in a panic stop situation.

It's kinda hard to see up in there but you'll know it when you see it.