Propane tank issues

Wondering if anyone has experienced the following.  I recently tried to get my propane filled (first time since owning) and the propane was going in extremely slow and had to stop.  The dealer (Kamp Propane, Sacramento CA) mentioned that I needed a new fuel valve but then found out that they didn't have one.   Probably the original tank as there is some rust on it.  They said there is an auto stop fill on the valve and he hasn't seen one like that in over 15 years.

Is there a trick to filling these?  Can I even find a new valve or do I need a new tank?  If a new tank is needed where can I get and who would replace (propane dealer or rv repair shop)?

Thanks in advance for input!

IMG_2270.JPG

He didn't fully open the vent. Yes the auto stop is no longer on propane tanks. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with yours. Go to a Suburban propane store. Helps to clean up the tank and paint it so they don't have an excuse to try to talk you into service work to make some money. All those old Dodges and Winnebago's are still getting propane. So can you

Linda S

Instructions for stupid propane guys

This tank is equipped with an Auto Stop valve.
80% Automatic Stop Fill Valve Operation Instruction:
1. Make sure the vent is closed.
2. Connect hose to acme thread.
3. Turn on pump.
4. Open vent to start filling.
CAUTION! If filling rate is slow, or is not filling, press the opposite end of vent stem to activate piston. Filling should start immediately.
5. Vapor will discharge similar to standard vent valve.
6. When liquid appears, filling stops. Close vent stem.
7. Stop pump.
8. Place acme cap on valve

I have the same year and model as you though my tank doesn't look as Rusty as yours I had similar problems.

I was at a U-Haul and they couldn't get it filled and said I need to have the tank recertified and repaired then I went to a regular RV dealer and had the same problem but the technician just whacked it with a rubber mallet where they attach the hose while he was feeling it and that cleared it up and I never had the problem again and he said sometimes the valves will just stick.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I will try those suggestions. 

Uhaul also wanted me to get tank recertified but propane dealer said the horizontal attached tanks don’t need recertification.

I agree with the repainting. Helps when it doesn’t look so old and rusted. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi all i havent been on in a while . i have delt with this problem . fixed a freands itaska . yes you can buy a kit cost at the time some years ago 50 bucks. includes a new filler neck and a new standred bleeder screw . he bought the kit at a rv place but the rejected the liabilty of installing it . so i did it for him he could not fill his tank at all. worked great .

The saddle tanks are exempt. Most places are kind of clueless and don't have the tank adapter any way. Try a large camp ground they know how to do it. It is a 30 LB tank a lot nicer than lugging around 20 LB BBQ tanks.

Not sure what you have going on there the bull nose fits a propane tank  like a BBQ the yellow cap covers a fill adapter for the saddle tank, campground usually have one if they do propane. There is a fitting on the fill side missing some thing they may have made some thing up to fill a BBQ tank either way take it to a reputable propane station.

Don't now what the extra line is for but the rest of your set up looks correct. I see there is some propane in that tank. Make sure everything in the house is turned off and turn on the tank. If you don't smell any propane your probably good as is. See if you can get the stove to light.

If you do smell propane make sure you have a spray bottle of soapy water, I like dollar store kids bubble stuff, and spray around to see where it's leaking. Of course then turn propane off.

Linda S

What concerns me is the open fitting on the fill side I have no ideal what that's all about. My guess it had some thing to do with a 20# cylinder either they were using it to fill the small tank or using a BBQ tank to run the camper hence the bull nose fitting on the copper line. The fill will be liquid propane at that point, the expansion of liquid propane to a gas is huge, 270 times it's volume once the pressure is removed it can make a cloud of propane in an heart beat. 

Yeah since that fitting is open, I assumed that line had something to do with it and didn’t want to risk anything trying to test it.

If so his stove etc should work if it does he is smiling. There is a fill adaptor that at this point seems to be a relic. Propane is pumped from the bottom of the large fill tank as a liquid. If I remember the adapter was the clue to the fill procedure. By all means have a propane outfit look at it if they are familiar with older campers.

• 5 weeks later...

Ednelson100

I tried your suggestion of tapping valve with rubber mallet and took to a filling station.  Worked with no issues!

Had previously taken again to Kamps propane and they indicated there was no vent stem (Linda's response above).  We don't have Amerigas or Suburban in our area.  Linda....do you know where that would be located on tank (from picture).

Thanks!

You have auto stop so there is no bleeder valve. Here is an in-depth description of an auto stop valve with pictures.

The Infamous Auto Stop Propane Fill Valve. | arts-attic.com

Linda S

The key is to have the inlet valve dial at the top of your fill valve all the way open counter clockwise. Not all the way open and it won't fill. See if that same thing has a push down function too. Somewhere there is supposed to be a reset button for the pistons that control the auto stop function

OK I answered the wrong person. Newbie does have a bleeder valve. That is the thing with a red circle net to your fill valve with the yellow cap. Needs to be open to fill tank. The only other vent is on the regulator , white caps to the left. Those are protectors which should pop off. There should be a vent at the bottom of that. Pop bottom one and look. Actually I think your on off valve has a relief too. Under black cap net to where you turn it on like this one. Yours is mounted horizontal

ASME Valve with Relief (propanewarehouse.com)

As far as I know there is no such thing as a vent stem. Google it. Nothing comes up and Google knows everything. That's how I delude you guys into thinking I'm so smart, LOL

Linda S

Oh and propane places. There's a Suburban in Woodland, not that far and an Amerigas in Sac. Call and explain your problem before you go. You need to know if they have an experienced RV tech. Again Google will show you the way

Linda S