Help. Tell me your tire blowout stories. Need to convince hubby we need new tires.

We have the semi luxury of taking ownership of my father-in-law's 1992 Toyota Dolphin, along with the insurance, licensing, and all the upkeep.  Looking forward to years of retirement pleasure with our Dolphin, but need to first convince hubby we need new tires.  The ones on the Dolphin are 13 years old (we know exactly what year they were purchased, as it was the only time we were allowed to borrow it, when we had a family from France here, who had hosted our daughter in the Alps one summer.). Early on a trip around Washington State, two tires blew, and we had to replace them on the road.  

My hubby not only seems to forget that those tires looked fine when they blew, he wants to now take out the studs on some beautiful Swedish quality snow tires that also came with the camper......the dot codes show that these tires must be over 21 now, able to drink legally.....so we can drive through mud and dirt, snow and mountains.  

I can't believe we let three very responsible 20 year olds (oxymoron) drive the Dolphin to the Rockies for a ski bum vacation last year on those tires. I think they are more responsible than their parents and grandparents, at least just as lucky as us.

By the way, thank you to all the people who shared their expertise in small Toyota Motorhome tires.  After reading the posts, I now seem to know more than most tire store employees, who have suggested ST tires, P tires, and changing our wheels to 15 inch.  (I am trying to find some tires that will handle gravel, mountains, snow, and a trip to Alaska in the next few years.)

Edited by Karma

So how about this. Tire dealers are not allowed to install any tire over 7 years old. It's the law in most places so it seems pretty serious to me. Yes I have had blowouts and mine were only a couple years older than yours. Yes I can be stupid too but at least I know I'm being stupid. One time was just around a bend in a remote but well traveled road. Cars couldn't see me until the last minute and the was no place to really pull off. I got lucky and state police stopped and closed the lane  while I was working . Another lucky. My tiny Sunrader can run with only 3 wheels in back for a while if I go slow. Your full sized rig maybe not so much. Alaska where the next town might be 50+ miles away, NO WAY. Ya want to pay 3 grand for a tow?

Of course you could just tell him your not stepping into it again unless there are new tires and if he tries to let your kids take it show him the couch.

There used to be snow tires available in our size but can't find them now. Best all season tire I know of is this

Amazon.com: NEXEN Roadian CT8 HL All-Season Radial Tire - 185R14/8 100T: Automotive

Linda S

Tires have a definite expiration date. Rubber loses its pliability and cracks. The cracking and tread separation can occur in an instant. Tell your husband to inspect the tires within the treads. Often, even if no cracking is visible on the sidewalls, there will be visible cracks between the treads. Blowouts are scary and dangerous. I've had one on a rear dully on a prior motorhome and it did damage to the wheel well of the vehicle. Had a blow out on a motorcycle to and feel very lucky to be here. 

Let your husband know you posted your awareness of your vehicle's maintenance issue here, and it could result in an insurance carrier questioning a potential claim. Express awareness of a defect effecting the safety of your vehicle and ignoring it. 

There are literally dozens of blowout stories on this site. Our members didn't make this up. Here's someone who didn't listen to me years ago

First day of a 2 month road tripblowout of an eight yr old innertire on back! Tread was good no cracks or dry rot Limped in to Fort Walmart camped out in back waiting on 4 new Nexen's tomorrow. Knew I shoulda listened to Linda S

Yes they can look really good but still blowout. heat build up on the road and they can pop like a balloon. It can be catastrophic too. Take out your wheel  well and destroy your siding. 

Linda S

Removing a blown inner dual in 100 weather and then limping 100 mi on 3 rears at 40 mph, cured the "that tire look OK, its only 11 years old" thing here.

I had an older Toyota with the 5 bolt front and 6 bolt rear setup

Edited by WME

We read the stories and some talk about a little damage needing repair and some inconvenience.  Here is the all time winner as far as I am concerned.   I do not think of tires as a one time expense but a yearly maintenance cost.  A set of tires should last 6 years so they are $XX amount of dollars a year.  

image.png.eb5887205daf153bb574e9b5bb75ed7d.png

• 2 months later...

i had a rear blowout on my  1977 toyota                              corona  station wagen 50 miles east of missiola montana . it ripped  the gas filler hose  off of the gas tank and dumped 14 gallons of gas on the road . one spark parents and 3 children would of likely blown up.  i new i should of changed that tire at home .big timber montana 2 more new tires . cody whyoming 2 more tires . all 5 tires . did not want old moldy spare . car very loaded.

Edited by 5Toyota
add info