My 1993 Itasca has metal valve stems and one is leaking slowly. I cannot find the correct replacements after searching local auto parts places. Has anyone replaced these and got a link they can share? Or the product name / reference number? I need to get that one replaced and would like to replace them all when I get the tires replaced, which I should do before long.

Thanks for that part number Linda - just what I needed! The shipping is a bit steep on that ebay listing! I'll call the local Toyota dealer and see what they can offer.

Get some soapy water and squirt on the valve stem and see where its leaking. Some times its the schrader valve and they can be easily replaced for less than 1$.

Nice work replacing the valve stems. Motorcyclists like myself make a point of routinely replacing all potential fail spots on their vehicles to minimize mechanical failure. Valve stems do not last forever and have rubber on the inside of the rim that will eventually rot with age. It is not unusual for the valve within the stem to fail as well. Who knows how old the stems are on some of these machines as it is yet another expense when getting tires replaced. 

37 minutes ago, Scott iv said:

Motorcyclists like myself

I also ride  - and likewise replace valve stems with tires. I don't cover the mileage that I used to on two wheels these days, so tire replacements can be several years apart and the thought of a valve failing at speed is not a good one...  

4 hours ago, WME said:

Get some soapy water and squirt on the valve stem and see where its leaking. Some times its the schrader valve and they can be easily replaced for less than 1$.

Good thought. I'll check, although I'm fairly confident that the one that is leaking has an issue at the rim seal area. I did have a tire place look at it and they suggested a new valve, but were no help on a source for them. Honestly the stems that are on the wheels seem past their best. The schrader valve inserts (correct term?) are not located well on some of them and I have to poke around to check the pressure or fill the tires.

2 hours ago, jjrbus said:

I have not used these but it is claimed they are the right metric size and can be bent to proper angle, using 2 small box end wench's..   

Thanks for this information, good to have an alternative, although I cannot find anywhere with the in stock!

I replaced all mine when I changed the tires, a few had minor small cracks. Hard to say how long it would take before those would become leaks, better safe than sorry, that is a good price for OEM.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow don't go back to that tire store, the reality likely is they didn't want to jack the truck up (I know this as it is probably the crap I would have said especially if close to the end of the day...)

So valve stems are just valve stems...  For the most part.  Yes, there are lots of different styles but any REAL tire shop will have one that will work.  Any truck shop will also have the more specialized long ones like the xtra seal ones.  You can't find them in stock, because you are not a jobber.  The specialized ones aren't the kind of thing you find sitting in a car parts store.  But straight screw in ones, are.  Better yet, they are sitting on the shelf at that OTHER tire shop.     

My point is there, are only two stem sizes commonly used.  For our sake, only one.  (The other isn't found in the automotive sector.)  They could have walked back to their shelf and pulled seals off a normal screw in stem, replaced your cores, and had you set.  (Assuming you already had the long bent stems though.)  

What I would recommend is even simpler.  Use short screw in stems.  Get some extenders.  Amazon sells a set for $15.  Now unless you are Houdini or some other odd freak like that, you will have to take the wheels off to get the extenders on, but they will be off to put the stems in.  You feed the extenders out through the wheels and bam there you have an easy fill point.  Or the start of a crazy contraption like mine!  

IMG_7830.jpeg.27c1464d32c2715972ef31d32c056959.jpeg

This is my take on a dually equalizer setup.  I made it myself as I wanted to use a 4 sensor TPMS kit I had on hand.  The big grey cap, is a sensor.  It starts with short screw in stems with valve cores.  Then the extenders have valve cores.  If I did have a bad leak or a blow out, I can temporarily disable the equalizer simply by unscrewing it.  

I don't recommend trying to duplicate that equalizer part, stop at the extenders.  Unless you are brilliant with a torch and brazing.  I am, and that still wasn't an easy thing to make!  

EDIT:  Yes, I probably should have a support bar bolted to the center axle....  The extender kits do come with parts for that too.    

Edited by thewanderlustking

Yes it will unfortunately...  But a full on blow out is MUCH MUCH more unlikely to happen with this system in place.  First off, the t-valve in the middle does act as a restrictor AND an equalizer.  So when you get a  puncture that looses air from one tire, it equalizes slowly the air over from the other.

An explosive blow out occurs when the air in one tire is drastically different from the other.  The lower air pressure tire starts to rapidly heat up until BOOM it shreds and explodes.  This is why lots of big rig truckers use these.  It greatly reduces catastrophic blowouts.  

With a TPMS system installed, mine has a super annoying alarm.  I can't ignore it.  Not only does it tell me if there is an air pressure drop, it also alerts me when the temperature goes up.    

So if you have a full on "blow out" it won't be caused by a small leak causing one tire temp to go up quickly.  It will be running over something that slices the tire wide open.  In that case, you will loose air from the other tire about as quickly as if somebody was pushing on the valve core to relate air, but probably a bit slower since it will be going through 4 valve cores and the tee connector. 

Now a professional big-rig equalizer will usually have an internal shut off valve in the case of a blowout.  But they are expensive and I didn't find any down at the lower pressures we are running.  Here check this out:  http://www.dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/

If I can find the build pictures, I will write up a DIY for this.  It isn't for the faint of heart, but it is a pretty cool little project.  

Whats the big risk?  :)  My soldering/brazing skills are easily up to the task of making it.  Not saying it was easy to make, it wasn't.  My post mentions I spent most of a day making them.  I believe it.  

Anyways, they have held up now since July of 2019 and have even seen a few miles put on them.  I do have to add in a little air every few months.  But that is normal for "new" 10+ yr old tires...  And having these on there means adding air is a simple matter of set the compressor, attach and push a button.  So 4 points instead of 6.  No fumbling.     

Now I did have my concerns, and wanted to try it out on the old tires first.  I had nothing to loose, and a LOT of money to save.  I do still have one concern.  At higher and extended speeds, they probably should be secured to the hub.  I don't think I have had it past 50mph since I got it.  Before it goes out on the highway, this will be dealt with.  And also new tires....        

EDIT:  I may not have posted a DIY because I wasn't sure that somebody else could safely pull it off...  I may or may not put one up.  But I would have to actually find the pictures from 2 years ago first anyways.   

Not any riskier than some of the stuff I have done.  I do not like the possibility of losing both tires at once.   I use a 4 sensor system on the rear tires,  utilizing a high quality stainless steel extension on the inner dual.

PS.  A high quality stainless steel extension is stainless steel braiding over poor quality, cheap, made in China rubber hose😂.  But when it fails the sensor will notify me.   

The first few years with my Sunrader I spent most of my time on forest service roads in the Sierra's. The shift in camper weight from losing both tires on one side could have sent me sliding down a cliff. Not a good idea by me. You've had your camper 2 years and it doesn't look like you've got much done. You've got a lot of ideas, what's stopping you. I think most of us are really looking forward to seeing some results of you engine modifications, ect. A nice restoration thread would be great

Linda S

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2021 at 9:32 PM, thewanderlustking said:

Wow don't go back to that tire store, the reality likely is they didn't want to jack the truck up (I know this as it is probably the crap I would have said especially if close to the end of the day...)

So valve stems are just valve stems...  For the most part.  Yes, there are lots of different styles but any REAL tire shop will have one that will work.  Any truck shop will also have the more specialized long ones like the xtra seal ones.  You can't find them in stock, because you are not a jobber.  The specialized ones aren't the kind of thing you find sitting in a car parts store.  But straight screw in ones, are.  Better yet, they are sitting on the shelf at that OTHER tire shop.     

My point is there, are only two stem sizes commonly used.  For our sake, only one.  (The other isn't found in the automotive sector.)  They could have walked back to their shelf and pulled seals off a normal screw in stem, replaced your cores, and had you set.  (Assuming you already had the long bent stems though.)  

What I would recommend is even simpler.  Use short screw in stems.  Get some extenders.  Amazon sells a set for $15.  Now unless you are Houdini or some other odd freak like that, you will have to take the wheels off to get the extenders on, but they will be off to put the stems in.  You feed the extenders out through the wheels and bam there you have an easy fill point.  Or the start of a crazy contraption like mine!  

IMG_7830.jpeg.27c1464d32c2715972ef31d32c056959.jpeg

This is my take on a dually equalizer setup.  I made it myself as I wanted to use a 4 sensor TPMS kit I had on hand.  The big grey cap, is a sensor.  It starts with short screw in stems with valve cores.  Then the extenders have valve cores.  If I did have a bad leak or a blow out, I can temporarily disable the equalizer simply by unscrewing it.  

I don't recommend trying to duplicate that equalizer part, stop at the extenders.  Unless you are brilliant with a torch and brazing.  I am, and that still wasn't an easy thing to make!  

EDIT:  Yes, I probably should have a support bar bolted to the center axle....  The extender kits do come with parts for that too.    

Do you know how to remove the stock stem extenders mine leak Just removing them and making a custom 

Filler  wond

A very interesting topic! I guess I have to ask why do you all use these extenders at all? Don't they introduce additional risks into getting a flat or one coming loose and damaging the stem?

I have no problems filling my tires with the way they are mounted and I have good access to the short stems without extenders. I understand the convenience of having them but it seems it ups the chance of having one come loose, breaking or leaking.

Extenders were necessary for my 1986 Sun-Land Express due to access problem-----unable to attach either pressure gauge or air hose head to either tire.  Neither could the mechanic without contorting his upper body, so a change was unavoidable.  The wheels are original-----probably not mounted with easy reach in mind.  Wouldn't have the hardware otherwise.  I don't contort as readily as I did in the past.

• 1 month later...

Extensions do increase the chance of leaks, sure.  But at each joint they usually have an extra valve core.  if they are properly secured so they can't move about, they won't leak.

Anyone in an older RV out on the road, needs to have a TPMS monitoring system anyways.  There are SO SO many options out there and most of them can be had and installed easily for under $100 so there is no excuse.  My setup was $30 on eBay.  I spent more on the extensions and my tire equalizer valves, but lets not talk about that...

I am not sure who taught me this trick, but when I was struggling to get all mine tight somebody recommended to use a bar of soap to lube/seal the extensions.   

Oh and this is not just an old Toyota RV issue.  It is ALL DUALLY setups.  I had one today that really annoyed me to the point, their inside wheels didn't get checked.   

Oh I might need to correct a statement I made above... Not sure and not going to reread it all to figure out my exact context...

So our Toyota RV wheels do have at least two different size holes for stems, and I have seen both on one truck before.  Even still, most tire shops have a valve like the one above, though maybe short and straight, that will cover both the small and the normal size with a simple gasket change.  

As for my equalizer setup contraption, I will say they have been WELL tested out now with zero real issues.  Initially we did have problems with the inertia loosening them up.  Solved with a brace to an axle seal nut and figuring out the way to place them so the inertia effects them the least.  A catastrophic failure of a tire would be heard, and the multiple valve cores prevent the second tire from going instantly flat.  It would take a couple minutes to loose the air.  The TPMS monitor is set to go off at 1-2 psi below operating pressures, so it would scream at anyone who didn't hear a tire pop.  A slow leak, same thing.  Both tires would go down slowly yes, but that is also what prevents one from overheating and a catastrophic failure there.  

Anyways my best friend now has the Mini Cruiser and he is a bit more paranoid about "sketchy things" and he LOVES the equalizer and TPMS setup!  He has been putting some miles on it.

Linda, As for a proper restoration thread, or at least a serious update on the engine mods, these things may still happen!  It didn't move very far away, just across town.  And Viktor plans on still going forward with the engine management conversion.  I have all the parts sitting here and collected for him.