New member! My 82 Sandtana Tilt top project

Sir_wankel

Hello all new to RV's, I recently picked up an 82 22R Sandtana tilt top in Austin TX. The rig is a bit rough around the edges but everything works for the most part! It had been sitting for 2 years but I was able to drive it 100mi home with no issues (thanks Toyota).

Joined the group to source more info on the tilt tops, and get some advice for off grid living. If you have a tilt-top share some pics for inspiration! 

Currently trying to get info on the following:

-missing canvas/tent thing :( 

- budget 12v solar setup recommendations

- missing shorepower connection 

- alignment of tilt-top and waterproofing exterior

Any help is appreciated greatly. Thanks for reading!

20210419_111937.jpg

20210412_180349.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

20210412_124437.jpg

received_509109600255852.jpeg

received_2850286221879593.jpeg

Cool rig! I always like the Sandtanas.

The hard part about the canvas is you dont have a template to use. Depending on how handy you are, I would consider making a template from paper or something and then finding an upholstery shop that would be willing to fabricate it out of canvas for you. If you are cheap and eager buy a tent and make it yourself. The canvas on my Sunrader Adventure is stapled and glued to the fiberglass pop-top.

If you haven't already check the date code on your tires and replace them if needed. I drove my Sunrader Adventure from NorCal to SoCal overnight and made it safely, found out after the tires were very old despite good tread and were unsafe. Something to think about.

Waterproofing: If your rig is anything like mine basically everything leaked in some way or another. Butyl tape, sikaflex and other sealing products will help with most of these.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, kevinchinook said:

Cool rig! I always like the Sandtanas.

The hard part about the canvas is you dont have a template to use. Depending on how handy you are, I would consider making a template from paper or something and then finding an upholstery shop that would be willing to fabricate it out of canvas for you. If you are cheap and eager buy a tent and make it yourself. The canvas on my Sunrader Adventure is stapled and glued to the fiberglass pop-top.

If you haven't already check the date code on your tires and replace them if needed. I drove my Sunrader Adventure from NorCal to SoCal overnight and made it safely, found out after the tires were very old despite good tread and were unsafe. Something to think about.

Waterproofing: If your rig is anything like mine basically everything leaked in some way or another. Butyl tape, sikaflex and other sealing products will help with most of these.

Hey Kevin sorry for such a late response life has been getting in the way of my restoration project. I wanted to ask if you have any pictures of how your canvas top is stapled and glued? Bought some royal blue waterproof canvas fabric that should look nice. Just need a visual example to get me going. Thanks for your help! 

Thanks Kevin. We used exterior house paint with rollers lol it came out much better than I thought it would. Linda and Fred the single wheel in the back is quite wide 265s. The suspension feels nice going over bumps. However I've heard that some axles on these things are prone to have issues.

The 265's are close to the original Chinook rear wheels size and I bet yours doesn't weigh much more than one of them. The axle was never the issue. It was all about the fake dually wheels. Your fine with singles. 

Linda S

• 2 years later...