Just picked up a 76 Chinook.

rlester

Hello Everyone,

I just started working on this 76 Chinook that was parked since 1997. Had a key cut from the code on the passenger door lock, put a battery in it, and attached an external gas can and fuel pump. Engine fired right up and had very little smoke. What I thought was a scrap vehicle has now turned into a restoration! Managed to get the fridge, stove and furnace working flawlessly. The fuel tank needs to be cleaned out, it is soaking with some CLR and vinegar right now, but not sure how well that will work. Radiator is getting fixed at a rad shop. Putting in a new countertop, flooring and table. 

The attached pictures show the day I towed it home, and later when I finished 4 hours of pressure washing and put better wheels on it.

This is my first time posting to this forum, and I have a question as I'm not familiar with Toyotas at all. I've rebuilt numerous other brands of cars and trucks over the years. 

It needs both front fenders replaced and they are basically unobtanium. Other than I found a place in Kenya, Africa that sells parts. It's called amexautoparts.com

They have a pretty active facebook page, and have been in business for a long time from what I can see. Their prices are pretty good too, and they have both fenders available. 

Has anyone ordered parts from them? Are they trustworthy?

Ryan.

20210313_173935.jpg

20210406_192649.jpg

Wow. That came out beautiful. What a find.

Never heard of a parts place in Kenya and I have sent people to the middle east and Japan lots of times. Why don't you try calling Allied Auto Parts in Winnepeg. A lot closer, much safer and they just might have what you need. 

Unfortunately countries like Kenya are the center of huge internet scams. Do you really want to give them your credit card number 

Linda S

Fiberglass rebops are in the$300 ea range

I could only find 79 and up for new fiberglass ones. pretty sure the early ones are slightly different cause they went from 2 headlights each side to one. There's a very cool place in British Columbia that makes them for 195 each. 

Truck (toyotafiberglass.com)

It is fiberglass though so it shouldn't be too hard to make some adjustments as long as the hood curve is a match. I have no clue on this

Linda S

Thanks, I saw the fiberglass fenders they need body work, not as bad as mine but I'm hoping for new ones. Regarding the Kenyan company, I've sent them an email and I'm awaiting their response. If they respond intelligently, I will risk it. I work in IT by trade so I understand how the scams work, I've even been scammed myself! lol   This looks pretty legit, check out their facebook page. None of the other scammers I've dealt with have had this much "front end" so to speak. They have been around since 1988.

Anyway, things are progressing on the interior work, bought some plywood (prices right now - ouch) and arborite, will be putting in the new countertop in the next couple of days. Then the flooring gets redone, have some nice laminate plank my wife helped pick out. Bought new t-molding, and a router bit to cut the groove. The original cabinet had screws that were started to be drilled into the wood (maybe 10%), but never drilled in! Also, some of the staples holding the paneling were not going into studs. Kind of shoddy work to be honest. I rebuilt much of the cabinet framing and made it much stronger. I'm looking forward to putting stuff back together! Can't wait to get the ugly carpet out of there haha. I will definitely post before and after pictures of the interior once it is done.