Tire pressure 1985 Sunrader

Noa

I have a 1985 Toyota Sunrader (22r). Almost 100k miles. 

I recently installed Hkook VanTRa LT RA18 185R14 102/100R D Tires.

Years ago, one of the experienced guys on this forum recommended I inflate the back dually tires to 55 and the front to 50.

But the guy that put the tires on said I should inflate them to the recommended PSI on the tires (which is 65).

I ended up putting 65 on the back dually tires and 55 in the front. But I am still wondering if/why it was recommended by this group that I put 

LESS than the PSI that is recommended on the tire itself?  Would appreciate any wisdom on this. THANK YOU!

Somewhere in the Toy web sites there is a tire manufacturer weight vs tire pressure chart. It all comes down to ride quality, tire wear, mpg. You get to make your choices.

The only thing 65 psi gets you is mpg.

Some of us use the tire as part of the suspension of the vehicle. Pressure recommended on the tire sidewall for max weight makes for a very stiff and rough ride. Rough ride but slightly better fuel economy. Each has to determine their comfort level and priorities when considering tire pressure. Safety is also part of the equation of course. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard anecdotal statements of increased mpg with over inflated tires.  I have not seen one controlled study showing anything other than insignificant increases in mpg.     Had new tires put on and they filled them to 65 psi,  thought I was going to jar my teeth out on the ride home. 

image.png.87b77db2b3312445762940c5d1a66900.png

Edited by jjrbus