Aftermarket short radio antenna mast replacement

htioki

I am getting annoyed by the 31" radio antenna rubbing against the front overhead wall and looking for a replacement for a shorter antenna mast.  Bought one from Amazon that is advertised to fit, but it doesn't.  If anyone has successfully replaced their radio antenna with a short one, please share the link of where you bought it. Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, htioki said:

I am getting annoyed by the 31" radio antenna rubbing against the front overhead wall and looking for a replacement for a shorter antenna mast.  Bought one from Amazon that is advertised to fit, but it doesn't.  If anyone has successfully replaced their radio antenna with a short one, please share the link of where you bought it. Thanks in advance!

I once tried to replace it with a short one from AutoZone it didn't fit fit and pore reception so I would like to know too

This what was on my Escaper. The Escaper has a metal frame and the ant was bolted through the fiberglass siding to the frame for ground. If you have a wood frame then you need to run a ground wire to the antenna base. The antenna was mounted on the side of the cabover

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pickup-Truck-Dual-Side-Mount-Two-Post-Classic-AM-FM-Antenna-Ford-Chevy/363338804883?hash=item5498ae2e93:g:T2cAAOSwSVdbwTBn

If my fading memory serves me correctly, early VW Beetles use something similar.

I am an amateur radio operator ( Ham) and I found a CB antenna mount at a truck stop that mounts to a mirror frame and bought it then I think I went to auto parts and found the stubby antenna and mounted it on the cargo rail on top and ran the wire through one of the roof vents so I wouldn't have a hole to leak in rain. I don't think it is but about 12" high. The reason was that my camper shed wasn't built for this camper (Toyohome) and I wanted better reception , its for AM & FM stations.  This is all the picts I have of it now, maybe can take a close up of the installation later.

you might look on Ebay or Amazon and find the shorter antenna's  and also the bracket.

This might not work for you but it did me

Just ideas.

DSC09850.JPG

DSC09854.JPG

image.png

SLE ant bracket.PNG

SLE ant. bracket.PNG

I also put a piece of rubber  in behind the antenna where it goes through the bracket that holds it to the cabover and that stopped it from bouncing around.  I put it between the antenna and bracket wedging it in.  The bracket was on the TH when we got it. You could thread a doubled up rubber band through the hole also. Your may not have the antenna bracket on yours ?

SLE antenna on cabover.PNG

Edited by Homer

Maineah: I didn't use the adapter 3/8 24, I took it off and made the hole bigger in order for the antenna base to go through it...1st pict.

The second pict shows the ham antenna on opposite side and I had to use 2 big washers to hold it. Since then I found a mount that had fitting for PL 259 to fit but not ordered it yet, it was on ebay (after the fact) . Sorry I didn't specify this earlier but it's been 4 yrs ago and I simply forgot. The Am antenna goes to the MP3 and CD and AM, FM radio I installed in the coach and ran the coax down the refrigerator vent into cabinets over to the radio.  I hope this explaines it better

DSC06144.JPG

DSC06145.JPG