My camper has had a slight misfire ever since I bought it two years ago. Not bad, and it's intermittent, but definitely fuel related as it improves with a full tank of gas to the point of being unnoticeable. And it gets noticeably worse when the gas level is low. I think I may have to drop the tank and clean it. If that's need I'll replace the fuel pump while I'm there. 

But I figured that the first step is to replace the fuel filter. I bought one at Advance Auto (I know, I should know better) and it will not stop leaking... Some google research informs me that many aftermarket filters have this issue with the fittings being the wrong design to seal properly. Grrr... I have a new Toyota part on order at 3x the price arriving tomorrow. At least I'm at home and not on the orad somewhere.

The good news is the filter may be the culprit. The gas from the tank line looked nice and clean. The gas coming out of the filter was murky and brown. 

Anyone else had this much fun replacing the fuel filter?

Yup,  and old filter was full of crud.   I checked into this,  seems that manufacturers are not maintaining equipment and threads and such are not right.  I measured and the inside threads in the filter were out of wack enough that the flare would not seat.  Not to worry dying in a fiery explosion is a great way to go. Even write songs about it! 

A real mechanic might have asked where all the crud in the filter came from.  In my case it was the gas tank,  it was a mess inside and I ended up replacing the fuel pump on a trip.  In hindsight the in tank filter, sock.  Might have been so plugged it would not allow gas to pass.

Recently pulled the tank and had it professionally cleaned and lined.   $245 in Florida. 

Yeah, if there's still a misfire I'll pull the tank and get it professionally cleaned. I've had to do that on other vehicles and it's worth paying someone to do it properly. And if I pull the tank I'll get a new fuel pump because pulling the tank is not a job that i want to do twice!

I'm still hoping that the filter fixes it! I have the new one from the dealer but need the time to install it - likely over the weekend.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:15 PM, neilp said:

My camper has had a slight misfire ever since I bought it two years ago. Not bad, and it's intermittent, but definitely fuel related as it improves with a full tank of gas to the point of being unnoticeable. And it gets noticeably worse when the gas level is low. I think I may have to drop the tank and clean it. If that's need I'll replace the fuel pump while I'm there. 

But I figured that the first step is to replace the fuel filter. I bought one at Advance Auto (I know, I should know better) and it will not stop leaking... Some google research informs me that many aftermarket filters have this issue with the fittings being the wrong design to seal properly. Grrr... I have a new Toyota part on order at 3x the price arriving tomorrow. At least I'm at home and not on the orad somewhere.

The good news is the filter may be the culprit. The gas from the tank line looked nice and clean. The gas coming out of the filter was murky and brown. 

Anyone else had this much fun replacing the fuel filter?

Be careful, the fuel pressure is very high and the injection system needs a regulated steady pressure to run properly the pumps move a lot of fuel and the majority is returned to the tank. More that likely the filter has never been changed. You are probably right about dropping the tank the screen on the pump is most likely pretty dirty also if the filter was nasty.

1 hour ago, Maineah said:

Be careful, the fuel pressure is very high and the injection system needs a regulated steady pressure to run properly the pumps move a lot of fuel and the majority is returned to the tank. More that likely the filter has never been changed. You are probably right about dropping the tank the screen on the pump is most likely pretty dirty also if the filter was nasty.

Thanks, I agree I probably should drop the tank. I'll see how it runs once I get the filter installed. For others doing this job and who find this thread I'll add a couple of links that I found useful: 

Yotatech thread with pics

4 runner forum thread about leaking fuel filters

Annoying but somewhat applicable  YT video

When I took my tank out I reached in an took a bit of what was laying on the bottom out,  There was likely enough to fill a 16 oz can in the bottom of the tank,  also quite a bit trapped in the fuel sump.  image.png.1e4fec3386fa32f5ba9624b6648ad5f9.png

That looks nasty! I know I should drop the tank, although the gas looked clear at the filter. 

I fitted the Toyota part today and as expected it bolted right up and does not leak. Definitely avoid the "Carquest" brand part for this job as thy are defective. My son worked at Advance Auto for a while and told me that these are often returned for fitment reasons. What worries me is folks driving around leaking gas unaware. Scary.

So far no misfire, but my camping trip next weekend will be the real test.

With FI the only thing that is constant is fuel pressure the rest is up to the control systems and it is constantly changing first things first.