Generator

Marse Hernandez

Recommendations please for a new GENERATOR. My 1993 Winnebago Warrior Toyota Motorhome currently does not have a generator but was sold originally with a Kohler 2.5 CMZ21 (Serial No. 322931) unit according to "Manufacturer's Component Information Sheet".

Well the Kohler's haven't been made in years and parts for most of it are not available. Onan used to make a 2500 generator that would fit the space but that too has been discontinued. Closet you can get now is an Onan 2800 but the case is much bigger. My Kohler is less than 29 inches wide. This generator is 38 or 39. Does your Winnebago have the electric cord compartment net to the generator space. It's possible you could reroute the cord directly to the outside wall and use that space but measuring is very important.  Hope you will consider used cause a new one on Amazon is $3700 bucks. Since you live in the LA area they probably come up used on craigslist pretty often. I found this

Generator Onan 2800 Watt for RV - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

Keep in mind that unless you've got someone handy your going to pay several hundred dollars for installation

Linda S

Having had a generator unit is a plus because it will already be vented. But the factory fit units vented out the bottom (Onan for example) Frankly it would be far cheaper to use the space for some thing like a Honda 2200 for storage and set it on the ground and plug your camper cord into it. One issue I have run across with on board generators because of the way they were vented was rodents building nests inside of the generators. Had a friend that had a 5000 Watt Onan (big motor home) he bought a new unit because the old one would not start. He gave me the old unit and the only thing wrong was a broken plastic sensor for the ignition system. When  I bought a new one from the Onan dealer he said they sell a lot of them. $2 and about 3 hours of labor later I had it running.

Well it seems they do still make the 2500 but only propane ones. And now it's the same dimensions as the 2800. To find parts you would need to know what one your buying especially older used ones. Onan was good about not making much interchangeable. Oh and by the way the new 2500 is 4 grand. I'm pretty sure Onan doesn't make parts for the older gas model 2500 so it just depends on what you can find online

Linda S

Onan made/makes 2 different 2500 generators.

Old style is 2500 AJ its a 3600 rpm, gas, single cylinder. Its a contemporary to the Kohler in the first post. But its a little quieter and a lot better quality, lots of parts available .

New style is the propane QG2500 LP version of the 2800 gas generator in a box, that is still made.

Mine has a Kohler and I wish it didn't.  It does run and it does generate but it uses double the fuel of my Honda 2000 portable, the exhaust will blow sand off the ground that is 3-4 feet from the side of my Warrior. and as Maineah mentioned above, it is very noisy, uncomfortably so.  I take my Honda with me whenever I can.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:07 PM, linda s said:

Well the Kohler's haven't been made in years and parts for most of it are not available. Onan used to make a 2500 generator that would fit the space but that too has been discontinued. Closet you can get now is an Onan 2800 but the case is much bigger. My Kohler is less than 29 inches wide. This generator is 38 or 39. Does your Winnebago have the electric cord compartment net to the generator space. It's possible you could reroute the cord directly to the outside wall and use that space but measuring is very important.  Hope you will consider used cause a new one on Amazon is $3700 bucks. Since you live in the LA area they probably come up used on craigslist pretty often. I found this

Generator Onan 2800 Watt for RV - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

Keep in mind that unless you've got someone handy your going to pay several hundred dollars for installation

Linda S

Appreciate your comments. I’m still looking.