Engine temperature spike after valve adjustment

Good day everybody,

I recently adjusted the intake (.008") and exhaust (.012") valves (replaced valve cover gasket, half moons, and grommets as well) on my 1983 22R 4spd manual 2wd Toyota dolphin and have noticed that after warming up the engine and driving it for 5-10 minutes the engine temperature gauge increases to about half way for 30-90 seconds and then decreases to "normal" operating temp at ~1/4 on the gauge. This was not happening prior to the adjustment. Has anyone observed this before or have any insight into the cause of this? 

I have not driven it farther than  15 miles at a time, or in hilly terrain after the valve adjustment, and therefore dont know how the engine temp will respond to more strenuous driving conditions.

thanks,

camusus

Well i’ll be darned.  Thanks for the info and the link— i’ll be looking into this to learn some more about the engine..

No relationship to valve adjustment unless it runs poorly after you adjusted them.

OEM 2 stage thermostat is a good way to go. There are some cheap skates out here (myself being one) who have been using the $4-$8 aftermarket thermostat with a drill hole for years without issue. Controversial and I may get lectured for mentioning it. 

• 4 weeks later...

here's an update on the two stage thermostat replacement:

after 200 or so miles of city driving and then about 1300 miles driving from new mexico to arkansas- up and down hills to the river and back-the engine temp spike has become a non issue. problem solved!

also, ive noticed that the valve adjustment gave some new power into the engine (if thats even possible). the mushroom mobile can drive through hilly countryat 50-55mph in 4th gear with a higher rpm than pre-adjustment. at least, thats been my observation. alls well and approaching 10,000 miles on the dolphin. cheers.