1985 Escaper rear suspension overhaul tips, tricks, and questions

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

So went and purchased the ARB bushings that go with the leaf springs and they fit into the leaf springs, now the bushing sleeve won’t fit the hardware and the old bushing sleeve won’t fit into the new bushings. Should I buy new hardware or install without the sleeve?

6C98EF5E-D517-4F50-8FE8-5E4E414BF87D.jpeg

38F49464-75F9-4E76-827B-0D7C794CD5B0.jpeg

CAAB2165-9C03-4050-9811-05DF2FAE89FD.jpeg

996BA687-6F72-4C9E-A8DA-061FE12148AE.jpeg

Edited by hamkid

Your 2nd photo looks right. You are assuming that what you removed is OEM, but it is equally possible that it is the wrong part installed by a PO.

The second photo is the bushing fitted without the sleeve. What happens if you install the spring without the sleeve? Yes, I am assuming I removed the oem springs with original bushings and sleeves.

i've never seen that sleeve on leaf springs. look like for control arm bushings.  my old springs had no sleeve and i put it back that way since  i had no sleeves and they wouldn't fit anyhow

Set all the pieces side by side take a photo and send it to ARB.

The reason for PO abuse comment is how loose the original bushing sleeve would be on the original bolt Also the teeth on the ends of original bushing sleeve look like it's from a control arm bushing. 

Edited by WME

They make a special grease for poly bushings...

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-9-11110-Pack-Formula/dp/B000N5Z408/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=polyurethane+bushing+grease&qid=1670388869&sr=8-5

Suitable substitute. Outboard lower unit grease aka " whale snot", it's very water proof

Edited by WME

you may be doing it this way already, but you may have more wiggle room if you start with that pin side first without having the shackle side installed or hanging. 

regarding the pin separation from the small plate, i am almost positive that is intended to be a single monolithic part. otherwise it would introduce play in the assembly 

I think we need to see how your propane tank is installed. Your old bushings might have been so bad that you could angle it enough but not with the new ones. You need to figure out how to move the tank at least a little for more room. 

Linda S

• 4 weeks later...

The plate and pin separates from each other. That’s how I removed the spring before. I had to install the front of the leaf spring first while holding the spring at a 45 degree angle while I wiggled the pin in with the plate away from the hole. I was using a floor jack to balance the spring and adjust when needed. Used a bunch of sil glyd to get it on easier.

1DBFA230-9166-4FA5-AE11-25F2C6C6CC57.jpeg

66933A69-611A-4FDC-90F9-6148A9EF510F.jpeg

9A658958-46D5-45C2-9704-4CB79F5CE7E1.jpeg

7B04792B-7260-48AE-822D-3DEF2FE4594E.jpeg

B2926C38-7A8F-4321-9100-0DE52EB6A7B6.jpeg

7E138049-3B93-480F-ABBB-836226CF4379.jpeg

540A4D94-5A60-4E96-BB97-76EC7C86956F.jpeg

It amazing what you can do with a BFH.😁

I totally agree. You have gone from a determined novice and have completed a huge number of accomplishments. All with excellent pictures to help others in the future. I'm very impressed and glad to have you here. Thank you so much.

Linda S

On 1/13/2023 at 7:48 PM, hamkid said:

Both sides are on! Is there anything I need to do before I tighten them?

In general, you should put the wheels on and set it on the ground in rest state, before tightening suspension components.   I don't think anything in the back on one of these though would make a difference.  This is more for suspension components like control arms with bushings.  Old Man Emu's website would likely have some more instructions and detailed installation advice.  If I am not mistaken, you used their springs too.     

• 2 weeks later...

So I am attempting to lower the differential onto the leaf springs. When I am doing that should I disconnect the drive shaft? As I am lowering the differential the drive shaft is going very low. 

torque is related to bolt size , thread and hardness only. what they hold is immaterial