1985 Escaper rear suspension overhaul tips, tricks, and questions

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The old airbags that I removed were more like the Ride Control, if I want to install the Load Lifter airbags will there be any modifications I have to make?image.png.e89c1e5fa0c2f335dc66d75067ec3cbd.png

image.png.1cf39b85bb4047dc5913b0457d6074f5.png

Looks like you might have to drill a couple of holes in the frame for the upper bracket.  Read the instructions,  examine your truck where they need to go. Your old ones were probably T9. I don't know how those went in. 

Plenty of newbies have done it. You come in as master mechanic now. You can handle it

Linda S 

Looking at the picture on the T9 site, their upper bracket also installs with bolts through the frame. Measure them and measure the bolt holes in the air lift system. I don't know if you bought them yet. Maybe you can call and get the measurements from the company. Be pretty nice if they were the same.

Linda S

Haven’t bought yet. Was also curious if the ride control is an option for me? If I buy the load lifter just gonna deal with whatever I need to do for it to fit. Gotta finish this up A.S.A.P!!!

The instructions show a totally different orientation for the U-bolts and leaf springs than my set up. The kit No. is also different than what the company shows to order for my RV. Sorta confusing, is this going to work? Should I call Airlift?

C162D452-5D57-4D74-B829-D4FE80FB1423.jpeg

Edited by hamkid

The model you need is  57113 . Yes I see the pic is showing axle below springs like a 4x4. Absolutely give them a call and have them explain how you can install them. They know they make them for Toyota motorhomes and they should know there are almost no 4wd Toyota motorhomes. I do see looking up the right model it does show a higher rounded on the bottom lower bracket like it's supposed to go over the axle. 

Linda S 

You're right the bracket for the 57113 looks different than the bracket shown in the installation guide. I found the best deal on Amazon and didn't want to deal with returns if I had the wrong part number. Is there an actual Toyota motor home called micro mini or that's what they use as a generic term for all Toyota motor homes?

• 3 weeks later...

I have no clue. I've never had to install them. There are plenty of other guys here who have. Hopefully they will offer advice. Maybe kit came with wrong brackets? Of course you could also send those pics to the company you bought it from with a WTF

Linda S

Back up the camera a bit, so we can get a more complete picture of things

The brackets are way too long. Does this thing being 1985 and the airbags being for 1986 have anything to do with it? Probably gonna return. What happens if I drive this thing without air bags?

0D1F9C05-555E-40AE-BE55-78E4F57FB1B6.jpeg

7496C478-3CE2-4980-887D-019045D2D320.jpeg

Edited by hamkid

Yeah that looks weird. Here's a picture of a dually frame. You can see the frame extensions start after that last cross brace. Yours come into your wheel well. Never seen that before.

Also the round cross brace before your axle has a large metal thing sticking down. Not part of a regular Toyota frame. See the bump stops? Thats where you air bags would be mounted. On this truck there is nothing in the way of that.

Linda S

image.png.2ab0d0dcace158953b35dc601e94a73c.png

Like Linda said, you’ve got some stuff added in there that’s not part of the original frame.  

Looking at that third photo, can you make a few slots with an angle grinder in order to slide that bracket in? Obviously, you want the bags directly above the axle, and you don’t want to compromise anything important. 

You do not necessarily need air bags, no, especially if you’ve got good/new springs. If it were me, I probably would’ve drive-tested it some as-is, before ordering the bags/kit. 

Your going to have to return them. The bags are too large and don't fit. When your vehicle is moving the bag is so close to that metal I think it would shred. You said the ones you had before were narrow like the T9's. They are still in business. Maybe you should give them a call. Wish you still had the original brackets from those springs. Would be nice to compare

Linda S

I like Timbrens but they are designed for loaded and unloaded situations. We are always loaded. They also don't give you the ride height adjustment air bags do. I often use my airbags for leveling side to side. Then again there is that bracket issue. We don't know how long that top bracket is and that is the only thing holding the Timbren in place. Bottom bracket is just the shelf for the Timbren to bounce on. It's only attached at the top. 

Linda S

These fine folks answered your air lift question correctly before I returned from crawling under mine. You have a different frame situation where the bags are installed. interesting addition on yours and the welds don't look too bad. 

Didn't you say on an earlier post you had the mounts for the original factory bags on your unit?  I thought someone here some time ago mentioned firestone sold bags for the original mounts. Could be wrong. Anyway. 

Those brackets got tossed. They are probably one of the only things I threw away. This project just keeps getting better and better.

Edited by hamkid

Jumping in to Mr. Peabody's way-back machine. Your first post has a good picture of the lower bracket. Some 2" strap-iron, a BFH and a vice or an anvil you should be able to make a set of brackets.

Edited by WME

You could probably get away with some rubber bump stops if your springs are good enough.

Rubbershox has some that are 4” Dia, lengths like 4”, and 5-1/2”.

Or get the original bags that Linda found, and make new brackets.

Edited by Ssunrader

So I just watched a guy cut a heavy Ford truck frame with a reciprocating saw. Get all that extra nasty crap out of there.  Cut the thing in front of the axle off and cut those frame extensions back so they won't hit the air bag. It's not going to hurt anything.

Linda S

$345. unfortunately they are expensive. You wouldn't be cutting the frame. Just some stuff attached to it. You could try on one of those things in front of the axle. I see no purpose for them

Linda S

please wear a mask and gloves. metal shavings are nasty

The set. It will come with the top bracket but you have to call and get someone to show you some pics and measurements. Their brackets have changed and I don't know if the newer ones will fit in that small space either. Cutting that extra stuff out of the way might not be all that hard. This video made me want to buy a junker just to cut it up or maybe make my already tiny truck into a smart car sized truck. 

go to 2.34 minutes for the cutting part

Cutting A Truck Frame In Half! - YouTube

FUN

80's Japanese autos had a galvanized steel frame. I've cut lots of galvanized steel with my Sawzall when I replumbed my house. 

Linda S

4 1/2” angle grinder with cutoff wheel would do a better job. Buy several cutoff disc’s as you will go through them pretty fast.

face protection and heavy duty leather gloves are a must.

You can use the sawsall for any areas to deep to reach with the grinder.

Remember BOTH HANDS when using the grinder.

The metal attachments in you picture are made from angle steel. Much thicker that the frame material. You will spend a lot of time and sawsall blades using the sawsall alone.

Edited by fred heath