1985 Escaper rear suspension overhaul tips, tricks, and questions

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems like it won’t fit with that brass fitting in. Should I try to press it in or should I return these and buy a different brand?

50D68F07-E151-4206-8D07-2B51FE590142.jpeg

40865646-5DD6-41B0-8818-2F1329470993.jpeg

Edited by hamkid

This is from a YouTube how to video for installing old man emu suspension. The springs he is installing do not have that brass bushing in them. The parts are going into a newer Toyota Tundra.

5B1D9742-8FA5-48E7-A77F-F5D5DC54A8D6.png

27 minutes ago, hamkid said:

This is from a YouTube how to video for installing old man emu suspension. The springs he is installing do not have that brass bushing in them. The parts are going into a newer Toyota Tundra.

5B1D9742-8FA5-48E7-A77F-F5D5DC54A8D6.png

At this point in time it might make more sense to take your springs and bushings to a garage or shop and let them show you how it’s done. There’s only so much accurate information you can get from help forums. Good luck.

Toyota had 2 different size front bushings, large and small dia. The EMU spring is universal fit with the large hole and the sleeve lets the small bushing fit in the large hole. If you have the big bushings push out the sleeve.

Here is a dia of the rear setup.

https://www.milneroffroad.com/kit/view/172

Edited by WME

I've done this exact thing. The bushings should push in by hand easily. No press required. The issue is that you will need to buy a separate set of bushings to match what is going on back there, just for 2 pair of bushings that match the eyes. I'll provide you with my parts list in a few.

CS010R Old Man Emu Springs, Old Man Emu Greaseable Shackles ARB-OMEGS3, Toyota Leaf Spring Pin (two of them) 04482-35030 purchased at the toyota dealer. Old Man Emu by ARB OMESB6 Spring Bushing Kit for the extra bushings I needed to solve the problem of bushings not matching.

Edited by lansisco

• 1 month later...

Right now I am sanding and prepping the frame. The springs will be installed sometime this month. I have a question about installing airbags. The first question is which brand should I buy between Airlift and Firestone? Also, at what point in the leaf spring installation should I install the airbags, do they need to go on while the leaf spring is being installed or after? Do I need to drop the truck and let the springs set before the airbags can be installed or can I put them on when the vehicle is on jacks?

Airlift is your only choice. Firestone no longer makes them for our rigs. Leaf springs should be installed. Frame to axle distance needs to be within the bags limits. With new springs it shouldn't be a problem because I don't think the axle can drop too far but you should not feel like you are pulling the airbag to its limit to make it fit.

Linda S

Hamkid, spend at least a good 5-6hrs or so reading up and digging around.  There is TONS AND TONS  AND TONS of information out there on air delivery kits and options.  You need to study them and decide if YOU have the capability to install them.  By yourself.  This isn't something that you can hop on here and get simple quick answers for.  I don't mean any offense, but these are dirt simple to install, but also super complicated at the same time.  You will need to make intelligent choices about every little aspect of it.  From do you mount in inside under the couch, or underneath the truck, how do you connect up the wiring cleanly, how do you run the lines....  These arn't questions you can ask somebody who isn't there with hands on helping you. 

Don't buy a silly $799 app controlled device.  What will you do in 5-10 years when you phone no longer supports the app?  IF you are going to spend money on any sort of control system, KEEP IT SIMPLE.  The simpler it is, the easier it is for you to install it.  And the more likely you will be successful doing so.  Now a setup with two gauges and simple switches and valves to operate each side, will allow you to level the RV on site quickly.  

Now there are setups that have simple remotes, for leveling this could potentially be useful.  But even something like this doesn't have to cost $800+!!!  You can get a compressor, switches, and even a simple wireless remote add on to the system and not spend more than $400.  

I am not even sure you would WANT to use air ride/helper system for leveling....

Yes, if the $799 system looks like it is one you can install, and you are willing to pay the extra there so you doon't have to pay a shop to do it, maybe it becomes a smarter choice.  I sure wouldn't though.

I did a lot of hunting and research, and everything I wanted was under $600.  This was full control too.  If I went for front also and FBSS, it did bump it up a decent amount but I think it still came in around $1400.  

Or KISS.  95% of the Air leveler/helper systems I have installed use simple valves like Scott suggested.  And they cost almost nothing.  

4 hours ago, Scott iv said:

I have the air bags and just use a portable bicycle pump. I installed the valves on the sides of the camper. Easy to inflate to desired pressure. 

Anyways, after spending much more than 6hrs researching putting air on JUST my Yotahome, I have mostly decided against it.  It will mess with other things, like your braking system load sensing valve.  So you need to understand that system, before you tackle adding air.  

Who knows, I might still do air, but it will mostly be an excuse to put air horns on there.

And realize this, air will make your truck a little bouncy too.  It isn't a shock absorber.  So you need to have GOOD QUALITY shocks on there.  

Edited by thewanderlustking

I am apprehensive about installing the air bags myself, I have been worried about doing every part of the rebuild by myself but it’s getting done and I’m having fun. Every shop I have taken this thing to has screwed me and everything is torn apart right now, so I’m just gonna do it. I have help with me and I rebuilt the entire front end with help from this site.

When you say I need to make intelligent choices do you mean with how it is installed or also the brand and parts I choose? I’m willing to pay for convenience and an all in one solution as opposed to sourcing the individual items mostly because of support the company gives you when you buy from them and my experience level. Spending an additional few hundred bucks isn’t a big deal right now as long as I know everything works correctly and I have a good warranty.

I just thought it would be cool to install self leveling air bags that will adjust each side accordingly. The interface or how you control it isn’t very important to me as long as it works and fits my truck properly. I just need to get this thing done, this project has taken over a year and two different cities since I started. I want to buy something this week because my leaf springs are almost ready to be put on and I want everything installed at one time. I might just buy the air bags Linda suggested and worry about the air system later. Thanks for all the input everyone it’s always awesome on this site!

On 2/12/2022 at 1:07 PM, linda s said:

Airlift is your only choice. Firestone no longer makes them for our rigs. ...

Linda, are you sure?  I actually have a Firestone kit sitting in my cart for SDTruckSprings.  I almost bought that and the compressor kit a few weeks ago.          

1969-1995 Toyota Pickup 2WD - Firestone "Ride-Rite" Air Bag Helper Springs

Now the Firestone kit is more generic.  But it is rated to 5000lbs just the same as the Air Lift one.   The Firestone kit actually looks like it would be a tad bit easier to install.  It is a "no drill" kit.  You need to drill the frame for the Air Lift install.    

Firestone:

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/instructions/firestone/1130.pdf

Air Lift:

https://www.airliftcompany.com/content/manuals/MN-214.pdf

I really don't see any reason why the Firestone kit wouldn't work just as well.  But the Air Lift one was very specifically developed for the Motorhome setup.  

1 hour ago, hamkid said:

When you say I need to make intelligent choices do you mean with how it is installed or also the brand and parts I choose? I’m willing to pay for convenience and an all in one solution as opposed to sourcing the individual items mostly because of support the company gives you when you buy from them and my experience level. Spending an additional few hundred bucks isn’t a big deal right now as long as I know everything works correctly and I have a good warranty.

I was referring to the installation itself.  As nice as that all in one solution is...  If you get a more, generic setup you can get one with (or purchase separately) a small air tank.  Now you could operate air horns.  You know the cheap air horns you get with the 12v little cylinder compressor that really aren't very expensive, or any good?  Well if you pop the back cover off, there is a little hole.  Tape that hole up, and hit with actual air, and they suddenly are STUPID LOUD.  For $30.  

Air tank also means you can fill tires.  Or an inflatable raft.  Or an inflatable...  Moving on.  

If you are going to spend the $799, go a little higher for this one:    https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/air-compressors/air-lift-air-compressors/air-lift-smartair-air-compressor-system-front-to-rear-side-to-side-leveling

Thats actually super cool!  

My personal plan was to get the Firestone compressor kit and add a tank.  Or put together a Vlair kit with a tank.  

9 hours ago, hamkid said:

I am apprehensive about installing the air bags myself, I have been worried about doing every part of the rebuild by myself but it’s getting done and I’m having fun. Every shop I have taken this thing to has screwed me and everything is torn apart right now, so I’m just gonna do it. I have help with me and I rebuilt the entire front end with help from this site.

I just thought it would be cool to install self leveling air bags that will adjust each side accordingly. The interface or how you control it isn’t very important to me as long as it works and fits my truck properly. I just need to get this thing done, this project has taken over a year and two different cities since I started. I want to buy something this week because my leaf springs are almost ready to be put on and I want everything installed at one time. I might just buy the air bags Linda suggested and worry about the air system later. Thanks for all the input everyone it’s always awesome on this site!

If you have the money to burn and think it would be cool then go for it. I installed my air bags after reinforcing my camper frame with the intention of completing the motorcycle mount modification also within this site. The bags have worked perfect for my intended application. 

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Kid, you have rocked some awesome repairs so far.  Time to start realizing you are a mechanic. Air bags are not complicated, and they come with instructions. You got this. 

Linda S

I second this. Everybody feels some nerves, doing certain jobs that they either haven't done before, or don't do very often. Take your time, use a good jack and jack stands, make sure you understand what you're doing and why, and go after it.

I like mine with no jounce because it gives me more leverage when back country camping for leveling. Sometimes you have to get pretty creative to get the darn things level for your fridge. I have had one side down to 10 lbs at times. The jounce, basically a Timbren inside an air spring, would limit my ability to do that by holding it higher

Linda S