Installing Aussie automatic locker in my Chinook's rear axle

Hi, thanks for the add -- i was somewhat active on the old yahoo chinook group, but guess it vanished, tried out the facebook group but can't stand fbook, then found you guys.

back on the yahoo group i found a guy who had installed a locker in his, rather than trying to adapt the camper shell to a 4wd toyota frame, and he insisted that the ring gear was 7.5" -- so fast foward to yesterday, i'm about to order the 7.5 aussie locker, then decide i'd better have a closer look -- it absolutely is a 8" third member case -- at first i thought, "far out, someone upgraded my axle", but no, after hours more googling, including this forum, i find that all the chinooks were sold with 8" rg axles, making them 3/4 ton, with the i.d. code GO 82 -- and, fwiw, these are 5 lug axles, similar, but heavier, to the 5 lug 1/2 ton axles that came on the same year toyota pickup -- not the 6 lugs of the 1 ton axle.

so, came very close to ordering the wrong locker

now, anyone want to insist that my 8" 3rd member is holding a 7.5 rg?  and that chinooks didn't all come with a 3/4 ton axle?

I moved the Yahoo Chinook group to IO Groups. I wasn't a moderator but I had my computer guy save as much of the old files as he could. Unfortunately they are very jumbled and require lots of searching. The group isn't very active but when someone asks for help there are some very experienced mechanics who usually chime in pretty quickly. Give it a try.

toyotachinook@groups.io | Home

Linda S