Leaking window. Need help for quick fix

Hi everyone,

I found some mold under my mattress and I thought it was due to condensation (original post here).

I dried up everything only to find more water this morning. I followed the tracks of the water and was able to figure out, that the window on the left has a leak and the water drips into the white channel and all the way to the left. So the source and the place where the water showed up were completely different.

Anyways I need some help now to fix it.

The window on the right from the inside does not have any issues. When I look from the outside, I see, that it has some kind of silicone layer or something on the bottom half of the window. I assume exactly because of the issue the left window has now. The left one (bad window) does not have this. I believe I can fix it with just sealing it the same way like the good window.

What material do I use for this? Is there anything I can use that I can get today to fix it? Since it is raining, I don't want to collect more water.

Thank's a lot.

Nico

Bad window outside

Bad window outside.jpg

Good window outside

Good window outside.jpg

Window with water slide

leaking window and water slide.jpg

bad window inside

Window with leak.jpg

Edited by KonCon

OK there 2 seals on your style window. There is the butyl tape between the aluminum frame and the coach, then there is a goop seal between the window glass and the aluminum frame. Both can fail.

Here is an idea that has helped a lot of campers...https://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/6266-nick-of-time/&tab=comments#comment-47894

The Captain Tolly's I mention in that post only works with the window removed and flat on a table. Also needs a warm dry environment to build up several layers to seal. Looks like your getting as much rain as me. You need a quick fix. Heavy plastic and Crystal Clear Gorilla tape on the outside for now. There are tapes that are stronger but you'll never get the residue off your camper. If you want a quick good fix call some glass places and see how much they want to reseal your window. You need to remove it and bring it in though. Do the plastic in the mean time but can't drive camper. Buy some butyl tape and reinstall it yourself. 

Linda S

For some reason my window is on the outside of the metal so if I would drill in there, I think I would drill into the window which is probably not a good idea. I removed the rubber inside, not sure if that was a good idea but too late anyways. 

Probably will have to go with the plastic and tape and over the next days figure out how rv Windows work. 

IMG_20210305_155303.jpg

I can see your trim rings from your side windows. Your front window are attached in the same way either from the outside or the inside. Is there a line of screws all the way around on either side? That's how you remove it. No drilling in, only unscrewing

Linda S

Hi Linda,

Thanks a lot. In the picture, I already unscrewed and removed the trim ring. I also followed your recommendation and did the plastic and gorilla tape. I did two layers so I should be fine for now :). When I wiped the outside dry, the little outside rubber seal or whatever it is came loose so I think that might be a reason why the window is leaking.

I think I wait for a little better weather, buy all the components I need and try to do it myself if I can find all the information I need. All videos I found so far were for the standard side windows of newer RVs and I was not able to understand how it applies to this window. My suspicion is as of now is that the wind sits in some kind of rubber U channel that holds the window and the larger rubber piece gets pressed inside to tighten it. Not clear how to get the small outside rubber piece in.

What is the correct name of the big rubber piece so I can look online to find the right part (I suspect it to be actually two pieces)? What's the small one outside called?

How does the window sit in the frame and how do I install it? Do I have to remove it to replace?

Do you know of any article or video that explains a little what to do?

Why is the glass in my case on the outside and in the link that WME posted, the sketch shows the window on the inside of the outer channel?

Sorry for the many questions. I'm quite new to RVing and kind of am learning while I go and run into issues.

Again, thank you so much for your help and advising me on the quick fix :)

Have a great weekend.

Nico

quick fix: 

quick fix.jpg

Removed rubber from inside channel that also holds the glass:

rubber.jpg

channel, where the rubber was removed from:

window inside without rubber.jpg

Small outside seal that came loose (picture is turned 90 degrees for some reason)

loose outside rubber.jpg

Edited by KonCon
added picture description

I am at a loss. I have never seen that type of gasket before. The larger one not the tiny outside. Normally with the trim ring removed the whole window pushes out of the camper. Of course it's still stuck from old butyl tape but you go around the outside with a putty knife and it does come out. Glass should be sealed to metal frame with windshield type sealant. I'm so sorry but in this case I just don't know.

Linda S

Hi Linda,

So the glass is kind of "glued" to the metal frame with window windshield sealant right? What is the small sealant outside? Can I just replace this and does it just press in? Could I just wait until everything is dry and then caulk the outside gap with some clear outside silicone. Maybe that would give a good enough seal to avoid more water coming in. 

The only way to do this right is to remove the window. These windows face front and take all the wind so anything else will be just temporary. I think the small bead that you could pull out of the glass area is old butyl window seal. The rest of it is inside so you can't get to it yet. For a quick fix the silicone might work. Buy the big stretch stuff. 

Sashco 10016 10.5oz 10016 Big Stretch Caulk 10.5-Ounce Cartridge, White: Industrial Sealants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

It comes in clear and any hardware store will have it. You need a bead all around the glass and another one all around the outside frame. And you need to reinstall your trim rings first. There can't be a seal without compression. 

I repeat, temporary. Your going to need to remove the windows and reseal them properly when the rain stops. Best to plan on redoing all of them, back too. 

Linda S

I'm as confused as Linda.

With the window and frame off the camper can you remove the glass from the frame, clean up a section and take some photos of all the parts.

Right now it sorta looks like a mishmash of different windows kluged together

HI WME,

I can do it when I decide to take out the window and fix it. Right now I just have some plastic in front of the window since it will stay rainy for a while here.

Couldn't find anything online regarding that window but I will keep looking.

Is the a manufacturers name on the glass.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the late reply.

I just started taking another look at it. I looked inside and outside of the window for where there is rubber around the glass and where not. There seems to be some rubber outside between the glass and the window ( I can see it when I move it with the finger. I marked it with a red arrow). I tried to make a drawing of my understanding how this window works. Since I have absolutely no experience/knowledge on this, this is just a pure guess from my observations.

I also found a name on the glass. 

What I really try to accomplish are two things:

1. Understand how the glass is fixed in the frame
  2. Figure out what parts I need to order. I have a very hard time finding the right pieces because I don't know what they are called.

Outside seal.png

Window Setup Guess.png

Name on glass.jpg

If it’s a side sliding window the only way to remove the glass panels is to remove the entire frame assembly from the coach. There should be a soldered joint somewhere on the frame. This joint has to be separated allowing you to expand the frame enough to slide the glass out.

This is how I had to remove mine.

Going strictly by the diagram, the glass appears to be encased within the frame. The only way I see it being removed or adjusted is by the same steps I mentioned earlier. Other than that, extreme caulking.

• 3 weeks later...

So it seems like I went a little too far when removing the window to get it fixed. I not only removed the window but also the glass. Now I have a problem finding the rubber that I need. I guess lesson learned. 

The frame has two parts. After I removed the screws, I was able to take out the window that was sitting in the rubber gasket. Again, not a good idea to do but too late now. 

I attached some pictures of the frame as well as the rubber. On one picture you can see how the "lock" gets pressed in. Does anyone have an idea where I could get that rubber part? 

I found a good glass shop and he said worst case (if u cannot find the right rubber part) he can glue the window in. I really hope I can fix that somehow but worst case I will have to go with the glue solution. 

IMG_20210509_191038.jpg

IMG_20210509_191016.jpg

IMG_20210509_185115.jpg

I told you on day one I had never seen anything like it and that still holds. I doesn't exist. Just tell me the size of the cut out. your going to need windows. There are a few on eBay pretty reasonable right now. Not hard to cut a few inches of the coach to fit ones in that are close. 

Issue with gluing yours in is the glass is smaller than the frame area. Only comes to the bend in the angled section. Nothing to support it. Sorry I have no other ideas

Linda S

I think I misunderstood something, although it's a bad excuse because now thinking about my logic, it doesn't make any sense. You live an (hopefully) you learn. Anyways the hole in the shell is 30 3/4 wide and 13 1/2 high. 

I reached out to a few places but I'm not very optimistic I can find anything. A bit bummed out my stupid mistake causes that I have to replace an original part but it is what it is.... 

No were going to figure this out. Now I need you to draw a little pic of the angled section the window and that gasket goes into with width.  height ect. of every bit of it. Across the top too. Also do you still have all of your gasket? is it still flexible or has it hardened. would also like width of that gasket section from where the insert goes in to the part that faces the inside. 

Linda S

Attached my highly professional measurement pictures.

I hope this helps a little bit. I could see that a little piece is missing where I put the red arrow but it actually doesn't necessary look like something was torn of the rubber piece on the surface.

I only have a tiny piece that looks complete. Most of it (and that's also not much) looks like the piece in the picture below that clearly has some parts missing.

Both with missing piece.png

Metal Piece.png

rubber piece.png

rubber broken.png

• 4 weeks later...

Ok finally I find the time to answer.

First of all huge shout out to linda who has been a tremendous help finding a way to fix this. She basically told me everything I needed to get and do and then I just did it and it worked. My highest respect to your knowledge/skills linda and your dedication and eager to help. Really special!!!!

I didn't take a lot of picture during the whole repair but I will try to explain.

First of all I bought this Butyl tape for car glass. It is a round, semi sticky roll of black butyl tape. It is not as sticky as the one I used to seal the window once I put it back in.

16214838090052373123165052482278.jpg

Next, I bought this TRIM-LOK rubber seal. I believe Linda recommended 3 yards but I bought 4 just to be safe. Just as a side note, 3 yards would have been enough (obviously).

x1058__49565.1603659125.jpg?c=2

The idea was now to put the Butyl tape around the inside of the frame for both frame halfs, slide it over the glass, press the glass on the seal and squeeze in the rubber gasket to create compression. Something like this: (yellow butyl tape, blue glass, black gasket)

New setup.png

To get this done i did the following:

1. lay the glass on 4 blocks so the glas is elevated
  2. Put the butyl tape inside of each half of the frame. I left the sticky protection on so it faces up. Then I pressed it a little down on this side so the butyl tape would get more of an oval shape. This created a gap that was big enough for the glass to fit
  3. removed all the sticky protection from the butyl tape
  4. slide each half of the frame onto the glass so it does not touch the butyl. Once in place screw both halfs back together.
  5. Align the glass and lift up the frame so glass sits now on butyl tape. Remove the blocks and lay down everything. Press the window on the sealant.
  6. To create a gap where I would be able to fit in the gasket, I used a plastic putty knife and used it as kind of a lever between frame and glass to press the glass down. This was really tough and actually broke 2 of the putty knifes. There is probably a better way to do it but it worked.
  7. This created a gap that was large enough to force the gasket in. I used water and a tiny bit of dish soap to help get the gasket in. It took a few times to figure out the best way to do it but I was able to force the gasket in. This required a lot of elbow grease and caused a blister or two :). But in the end the gasket was forced into place.
  8. Trimmed the butyl that was squeezed outside between glass and frame.
  9. put the window back in its place using the white sticky butyl tape and screwed in the frame.
  10. Put some clear silicone on the cracks where the two frame halfs meet.

The first day I poured so that was a good test. The gasket on the top of the window was a little wet so first I thought there might be a leak. This is when I put the clear silicone on the cracks. Gasket was dry moving forward. In retrospect I think it was just the soapy water that I used to force in the gasket that came out.

This is what the window/gasket looked like when installed

pic4.jpg.4795f86c2de31cc269800818989be04d.jpg\

And here with the window back in place.

pic5.jpg.a9b44d682d6c15947f3cb1e96bb5dbfd.jpg

Really happy so far with this solution.

Again HUGE THANKS to linda.

I want to add this is the flat front window of a Sunrader. Very different design I had never seen before but I'm sure other people with flat front window Sunraders will need this info at some point. Glad I could help

Linda S

PS clicked on wrong post at first but this is the post that needs this reply. Now it will come up in a search