Cab window channel/regulator install question

Toyotaholic

I’m trying to fix the door windows on my ‘77 Chinook.... both need help.   
How do the windows seat in the metal ‘U’ shaped metal tray attached to the regulator???   My passenger side has some rubber in the bottom of the channel only, while the drivers had rubber wrapped around the window edge snd set in the tray.   Neither held very well, do id like to do it right.  
thx in advance!

If you don't get answers here try this site. Not very active but when someone needs help they usually jump in. They all have Chinooks so they are more acquainted with the older trucks

toyotachinook@groups.io | Home

Linda S

Yes it's my site but not because I know crap about Chinooks. It was an orphan site and I just saved it before Yahoo killed it off.

Happens all the time. They no longer make the fabric channel that the window bottom rests on. When new, it held the glass in the metal channel by friction. What I did with mine was to remove the entire window glass with metal channel (2 bolts) from the regulator assembly. Turn sideways, and remove through the door opening. You have to remove the outside rubber water barrier from the door opening to gain enough room for the glass to slide through as it’s slightly curved.

When out, pull channel off of window glass. Be SURE TO NOTE the glass location in relation to the channel itself. The leading edge of the window glass needs to be at a specific distance from the front of the metal channel for the glass to raise and lower correctly. The FSM for chassis and body will give you the exact measurement. Or place a piece of tape where the front of glass meets the metal channel. This will aid when you put it back together. If you’ve already removed the glass from the metal channel, my 1978 window glass has a bluish colored factory hash mark on the front edge of the glass. This should line up with the front of the metal channel for the glass to be correctly set. Allow silicone adhesive to set and reinstall window glass to regulator. Spray the side channels on the door with heavy duty silicone spray lubricant before reinstalling the glass. A Haynes or Chiltons manual will help.

Edited by fred heath

Thanks Fred.  Ya, I kinda took it all out without noting placement of the channels.  I’ll figure it out.  
When you reinstalled them, did you just use a silicone product? There’s a lot of room between the glass snd channel. Or, did you use silicone plus fabric/rubber to hold it in place?

6 minutes ago, Toyotaholic said:

Thanks Fred.  Ya, I kinda took it all out without noting placement of the channels.  I’ll figure it out.  
When you reinstalled them, did you just use a silicone product? There’s a lot of room between the glass snd channel. Or, did you use silicone plus fabric/rubber to hold it in place?

I kept as much original fabric as possible. Added silicone to inside channel then reinstalled the glass. You just want to be sure the glass stays in place when your rolling down the window.