2 hours ago, kim webster said:

Looking to buy. Very confused about possibility of rear axel problems. Has dual wheels in rear. Have heard of foolies. No idea what that means. If it was built after 86 is the rear axle potentially still a problem? Thanks 

The only way to tell is to see pictures of the axle hub and see what the wheels look like off the truck. Ask the seller to show you. Are you near enough to inspect it. 

Linda S

93 ??? Maybe an 83. Look at the dates on the door tag or the firewall vin tag. Photos may help

Isn't it a 4x4? Those hubs would have 6 lug nuts. It wasn't made in the US or ever intended to be shipped to the US so we have no idea what they did to the rear axle. I would think to even fit a 5 lug wheel they would have had to add some kind of adapter. The wheels themselves might be a better indicator. If the inside wheel is identical to the outside, meaning they would have the same depth, and the adapter isn't too thick, it might still be OK. The center where the bearings are in the axle needs to be be very close to the center where the 2 wheels meet so the bearings aren't stressed by being off centered. Hard to explain. Need pics or you need to find someone near you to inspect. I have seen these duallys with the 5 lug nuts and I often wondered what was going on there. Something you could do. Go to see it and take a yard stick or other solid measuring tool. Stick it into outside wheel and measure depth then do the inside. If they match it would mean they are real duallys not fake. Then the only issue would be the thickness of the adapter

Linda S

Oh and look underneath. Is the differential centered or offset. If offset it might be a Land Cruiser axle and some of those were full float, aka the good ones

Is this it. 

1993 Toyota Hilux Galaxy Camper LH106, 4WD 3.0L Diesel (JDM-RHD) -... (craigslist.org)

This vehicle has 5 lugs in the back and it is not a full floater. It does however have what looks to be true duallys which is good. Your front wheels do not match the rear though and if you ever bend or damage a wheel in the back you will never be able to replace it unless you can find one overseas. They must have been custom made for the company that made this camper

Linda S

Yikes that's out of my wheelhouse, good luck.

I did some research last night. Apparently there were only 80 of these ever made for the Japanese market. Rear axle and wheels are probably custom fabrication and no parts available. Seems likely that only a fraction of them have been imported to the US. That's where it starts getting weird. I have seen them come up for sale dozens of times. How could that happen with so few of them. The only thing I can think of is that owners don't keep them long. You need to find out why and is the problem something you could deal with. For such a rare motorhome that wasn't US intended I wouldn't recommend anyone but an expert mechanic with a home machine shop buy. Your going to have to fabricate some of your own parts sooner or later

Linda S

The Japanese "Shaken" Inspection and insurance program makes a vehicle almost valueless after 5 years. Thats why there are so many low milage JDM engines for sale in the US. With a 10 year old vehicle the cost of an inspection will exceed the value of the car. So of the 80 built most were scrapped or shipped to the US

When I was stationed there, a GI was exempt from Shaken. I bought a 6 year old Toyota van with 26,000 km on the clock. I was at the salvage yard when it was driven in. Paid $750 for it

Edited by WME