HELP NEEDED Progressive Dynamics Converter 4 pin wire missing

Hoonah

I am upgrading my old Power Center to the Progressive Dynamics PD 4645V. They didn't include the 4 pin wire. CAn I safely operate the converter without this wire? It is the wire that goes from the converter to the DC fuse board.

Thank You!!

Thanks Linda. I will do that. While I navigate that process and wait for the wire, I installed the converter. Do you happen to know if it safe to use my RV? Is that wire integral to the safe charging of the battery, or is it was of the battery wizard feature?

Since that wire connects the converter to the DC panel I don't know how it could work. Do you have 12 volt working in your camper?

There are quite a few wiring diagrams for this converter online but electric is not my forte. Maybe someone else can decode them and see what it really does. 

Linda S

Bit more info would help. The 4 pin thing I believe you are talking about is the "charge wizard" it will work with out, it is a option they will send you one for $15 has some fancy features most people don't need. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! It took a fair bit of time to swap out the converter, primarily because the hot and ground leads were not long enough and I had to extend them. Due to the gauge of the wires I needed to use special connectors that required a shrink wrap and my heat gun was broken. I got a new heat gun and (after contacting Progressive Dynamics - they promptly sent out the wire) I received the 4 pin wire.  And, yes, that wire is only for the Charge Wizard. 

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2021 at 3:25 PM, Hoonah said:

Thanks everyone! It took a fair bit of time to swap out the converter, primarily because the hot and ground leads were not long enough and I had to extend them. Due to the gauge of the wires I needed to use special connectors that required a shrink wrap and my heat gun was broken. I got a new heat gun and (after contacting Progressive Dynamics - they promptly sent out the wire) I received the 4 pin wire.  And, yes, that wire is only for the Charge Wizard. 

How difficult was installing the converter? Did you do both the panel and converter? Considering an upgrade with the package deal. Thanks!

Hi Wadingthroughlife, everything was easy EXCEPT the main power lines were too short so I had to extend them. The wire gauge is large, so I needed a special connector then had to shrink wrap that connector seal. Other than that - it was a snap!

Thanks - Im just a little confused on which option to pick. I wouldn’t hate having a combined unit,  it it seems breakers need to be added for that. I’m no skilled electrician.

I wasn’t sure if we should do the PD4135K, PD4635, PD4060K, or one you did, PD4645V. 

Would this also eliminate the need to trickle charge the batteries? 

Thanks so much,

Kyle

I replaced my convertor. Mine came with a 6332 convertor which I replaced with a PD4635 I did not need to extend any wires it is straight wire for wire replacement and took less than an hour. The new convertor came with an upgraded 12v panel, the 115v panel was reused. The new convertor will maintain the house battery without over charging as did the original. I now need a new house battery as the one I have was ruined by the old convertor!

The old units were transformer based frankly crude and poorly regulated yes they would boil the water out of a battery. The newer ones are highly regulated switching supplies and can be left on indefinitely. I rebuilt the entire charging system in my 1990 camper and leave it plugged in year around.