toyota hilux galaxy

kim webster

Not personally but we have had a few members in need of parts for them and that is not an easy find. The engine was never imported to the US so no used parts and it's possible you would need to source some from Japan. They are beautiful though. oh and I'm guessing that's a diesel. You might be surprised at the lack of power. Less than 100hp. Less than our bitty 22re"s

Linda S

There is a lady sitting in TX for 6 months that cannot find anyone to work on hers.   People keep saying that parts and service are easy to find, yet she has posted on 2 forums that I know of and no one has recommended a mechanic to her! 

If you are a diesel mechanic that does not mind poking along in the slow lane and waiting for parts from Asia, would be a good buy.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 10:17 PM, kim webster said:

have an opportunity to buy a Toyota Hilux Galaxy. Anyone have any experience with them?

thanks

You could convert it to run on veggie oil since it's a diesel, thus saving on fuel money and reducing your carbon footprint.  If you want to know more about how veggoil works and what the lifestyle is like go here. The National VegOil Board vlog and 6 part radio series.

Cleaning used restaurant veggie oil, if you can find a few willing to give it to you, is a smelly messy process. May I say disgusting. Plus you still have only so much room to carry fuel onboard. Lets take all the recreation out of RV. 

Linda S

7 hours ago, Cynxing said:

You could convert it to run on veggie oil since it's a diesel, thus saving on fuel money and reducing your carbon footprint.  If you want to know more about how veggoil works and what the lifestyle is like go here. The National VegOil Board vlog and 6 part radio series.

What a way to ruin a unicorn of a vehicle 

On 3/11/2021 at 10:18 AM, linda s said:

Cleaning used restaurant veggie oil, if you can find a few willing to give it to you, is a smelly messy process. May I say disgusting. Plus you still have only so much room to carry fuel onboard. Lets take all the recreation out of RV. 

Linda S

Talking from personal experience?

Yes my son-in-law tried it for his F250. He's pretty meticulous but the smell leaked into the house and my daughter put her foot down. He also found out later that it had damaged his engine. Used oil is very acidic. He ended selling his dream truck only a few years later.

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that.  If he poured straight vegetable oil into his tank with no filtering and heating modifications it would not take long for any oil to destroy a diesel. 

Where you get your used oil is crucial.   I have not heard about acidity as a widespread problem with waste v.o. - since every batch will be different depending on what was cooked in it.  American food reuses oil too many times and has too much salt in it, and is frequently hydrogenated.   All bad for engines. 

My collection preference was Thai restaurants.  The oil was used only once, very clean, and was a pale yellow color. 

While it's true that once you get a spot of oil on your clothes it (and the smell) will never come out, vegoil fueling can be as quick and tidy as petroleum fueling.  The learning curve is straight up to figure out a good system and many people give up before they get there. 

VegOil is a fringe alternative fuel that has yet to reach parity with Biodiesel in public understanding and acceptance.  The onus is on the individual to develop workable solutions for collection, filtering, fueling, and paying road tax.  Until SVO is officially folded into the legal portfolio of fuel options, it will remain an activity for curious and determined shade tree mechanics.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

• 1 month later...

I don’t know if this thread is still active, but a buddy of mine just purchased a 1993 galaxy. He’s having the same problem as most people are, he can’t find anyone to work on the diesel engine without charging nearly $10,000 to rebuild it. My idea is to LS swap it. Put a Chevrolet engine in it and it’ll be much more reliable and have much more power Then the original engine. Now this is not to say that I want a hot rod it, I just want him to be able to safely make it over the mountain passes and if there is a problem, he’ll be able to stop in to any GM dealership and have the truck fixed.

I have a friend who put a GM Turbo 4.3 in his 4x4 Sunrader. Very powerful but these people are buying these rigs because the the allure of the diesel. I don't think they even realize that parts are only available overseas. Then the challenge of finding someone who has the skills set needed to work on them. BUT the people who are importing these know mechanics who will.  If they didn't buy it from a dealer they need to find out who that dealer was and ask. 

Linda S

On 5/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, linda s said:

I have a friend who put a GM Turbo 4.3 in his 4x4 Sunrader. Very powerful but these people are buying these rigs because the the allure of the diesel. I don't think they even realize that parts are only available overseas. Then the challenge of finding someone who has the skills set needed to work on them. BUT the people who are importing these know mechanics who will.  If they didn't buy it from a dealer they need to find out who that dealer was and ask. 

Linda S

Yes, this happened to my friend and that’s why we’re looking at a LS swap. I’m not sure where he took delivery of it, but he got stranded in Kansas for about a week, waiting for parts. With a GM drivetrain, he can get service in any town. You can go to any GM dealership, and they’ll be able to connect the scanner up to his Galaxy and read any trouble codes. 
This seems like the smart way to go. Besides, he was quoted $8k+ to rebuild his diesel...and then he’d end up w a 90hp diesel. He can spend half of that and end up w a 295hp motor that will get him over all of the passes.