I am currently fixing all the water damage in my 86 sun-land and really wanna put up a beadboard celling. I picked some up today and am not sure its gonna be very flexible and to thick to-boot. 

Has anyone put up beadbaord and if so, did you use wood or fiberboard? I have never used fiberboard before, so I'm hesitant trying it in my soon to be home. 

tell me what y'all think/have done/etc..

thanx all 

I am contemplating re-doing the ceiling.  I really want to find any and all leaks, put in some more substantial insulation and change out the light fixtures.  My 86 Dolphin doesn't have curves in the ceiling except for the cabover so I was hoping a luann 4x8 panel would do it and then maybe some interesting decorative stick on stuff.  Morbo is your rig curved at the roofline? 

8 hours ago, fred heath said:

Be careful if the panel has an MDF core (most do).

MDF will swell it exposed to excess moisture.

Thats why I got the wooden beadboard. its looking like its gonna be an issue getting it to fit though 😬

On 2/1/2021 at 8:34 AM, Cynxing said:

I am contemplating re-doing the ceiling.  I really want to find any and all leaks, put in some more substantial insulation and change out the light fixtures.  My 86 Dolphin doesn't have curves in the ceiling except for the cabover so I was hoping a luann 4x8 panel would do it and then maybe some interesting decorative stick on stuff.  Morbo is your rig curved at the roofline? 

Yeah, it curves right before the cabover starts

Any fiberboard product will swell when exposed to long term moisture. Doesn’t matter if its high density or medium density. Composition is similar to that of particle board. If you’re sure your ceiling is leak free you’ll probably be ok.

Personally, I wouldn’t take that chance.

Edited by fred heath

Well there is always FRP, it comes in colors and will curve in 2 directions at the same time.

Works great, if you dont mind the gas station look. Or you could glue fabric to it.

2 hours ago, linda s said:

Glorious FRP designs are out there. Probably not cheap but this is the best there is

Marlite_FRP_Brochure.pdf

Linda S

Wow things they are a changing, so much for the gas station bathroom look

Well it's looks like everyone else on this site has become mesmerized by them too. No posts at all since you posted this. I keep looking at the Induro abstract Woolamai. I sure wouldn't mind laying in bed and looking up at that. Like a bright moonlit night with hazy cloud cover. Like I said though, expensive. $262 per 4x8 panel

Linda S

4x8 FRP Induro, Woolamai Brush

I'd go for it at that price, considering the near bullet proof nature of FRP. But here the 700mi round trip to a dealer is a bit much

another way to achieve flexibility for materials such as plywood or mdf is to score cut the back side. for example if you have a quarter inch thick material, make score cuts typically one half the thickness.  or 1/8 inch deep.  the closer apart the score cuts are from each other, the more flexible the material will become. caution, if the score cuts are too close together, or too deep you may break the material while handleing, and or installing. i would encourage doing some trial or test pieces first. joe from dover

On 2/11/2021 at 4:11 AM, hunkaman said:

hey linda. i live a half mile from the marlite plant here in dover. i may be able to secure some samples for you. joe from dover

I would love some samples. So kind of you to offer. Be nice to see the feel and weight of it too. I live in the boonies.  No high end construction supplies to be had. 

Linda

hey linda, i will see what i can do. i am not sure how many samples i may be able to get from the marilite people. do you have any specific or favorite ones from the brochure you would like to have ?  i was thinking i could mail them to you . mail service is not the greatest now. let me know. happy to be of help. joe from dover.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 5/29/2021 at 1:19 AM, grtthegrt said:

Morbo, is that the beadboard you were talking about? is it solid wood? What's the thickness?

If it's what I think it is, it is 3/16" or 1/4" ply