Help with electrical

Ajsurf1

Hey everyone,

So I was replacing the guts to my exhaust fan today and when I cut the positive wire I noticed that my light right by the fan went out. Well after I hooked the new guts up I noticed that there is no 12v power now. None of my interior lights work and the fan doesn't work either. Is there a fuse that may have blown or a breaker that got tripped? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

AJ

Yes you could have blown a fuse. 12 volt blows fuses not breakers. Have you checked your power converter? Those fuses are hard to tell if they are good or not but they are very cheap so sometimes I will just replace them all. Make sure you use same size that was there before. Does your water pump still work? Shouldn't have blown out all the 12 volt. You did reconnect that wire though right

Linda S

It is possible you took out the main battery to converter fuse. It should be a 30 amp. Linda is right you should just replace them all with age and vibration the old glass fuses actually stretch and the lead inside gets thinner so their current rating goes down an old 20 may only be good for 15.

Right on. Thanks for the advice. I'll check and replace all the fuses. I wasn't aware of the main fuse. Is it located in the same spot as the other fuses?

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2021 at 8:25 PM, linda s said:

Yes you could have blown a fuse. 12 volt blows fuses not breakers. Have you checked your power converter? Those fuses are hard to tell if they are good or not but they are very cheap so sometimes I will just replace them all. Make sure you use same size that was there before. Does your water pump still work? Shouldn't have blown out all the 12 volt. You did reconnect that wire though right

Linda S

Just now, Smiley1n said:

Hello everyone my light and my Toyota bathroom or my ceiling fan will work every time I go to replace the fuse it blows the fuse as soon as I plug it in

if it blows the fuse that fast. as soon as you put the fuse in YOU HAVE A DEAD SHORT. but where is the big question. take down the light checkit out out or take the bulb out . try that if the fan works and the fuse works then the line too the light or the light itself is bad .  is this a new problem.  or does the fan blow the fuse .  worst case run whole new wire from panel too fixtures.  dis connect old line at both ends.

Edited by 5Toyota

Mice, they love to chew on wires. Usually things like that don't just go bad. The nasty buggers chewed through my camper 120 volt power cord right down to the copper where it went inside. Bucket of death, the next morning 6 drowned mice.

oya had a rat crap rust on my lawn mower. little blue cubes did him in no more before or since. moved  in from the next door peoples junkie living. the guy quit paying on his bank loan. moved out all gone now good ridence.