Roof vent fastening

JayBees

I have a ‘91 Winnebago Warrior. Putting in new maxxair fans front and back. The original vents I removed were held in solely with butyl tape and lap sealant with no issues. The new vent fans are slightly larger with a wider lip or mounting edge around them (and several areas around the lip with screw hole points). I’m sure the standard practice is screw down but man the thought of punching new holes makes me cringe. The roof is only about an inch thick with thin sheet of aluminum over thin plywood, rigid foam center, and another thin sheet of plywood on bottom. I’m not sure what kind of holding power screws would even have in this material. Just curious if anyone has had luck installing vents without screws.

I did exactly what you’re describing when I put a Fantastic Fan in the rear bath of my 91 Warrior a few years back. Worked out great, no issues. Use a high quality product (ie Dicor) and plenty of it. 

Appreciate the input. Guess I’ll try it. Got clamps on them right now to try and get a good seal on the butyl tape. I have dicor and I’ll coat the exterior well. Down the road if I notice any separation I’ll bite the bullet and screw em down.