propane tank leak

Alanb

The propane tank on my 91 Warrior is leaking at the Valve stem.  The local RV checked it out and said it was definitly leaking and would have to be replaced.   He suggested to take it to local  propane dealer,  who was not able to help.   It looks like it would be very challenging to get valve off without removing tank. Then the next question is, can i get the correct valve if the old valve can be removed. The tank  itself is in decent shape, some surface rust, a wire brush and a little paint is all it needs and a "working valve." If anyone has had this issue and could shed some light I  would greatly appreciate. Thanks

1 hour ago, Alanb said:

The propane tank on my 91 Warrior is leaking at the Valve stem.  The local RV checked it out and said it was definitly leaking and would have to be replaced.   He suggested to take it to local  propane dealer,  who was not able to help.   It looks like it would be very challenging to get valve off without removing tank. Then the next question is, can i get the correct valve if the old valve can be removed. The tank  itself is in decent shape, some surface rust, a wire brush and a little paint is all it needs and a "working valve." If anyone has had this issue and could shed some light I  would greatly appreciate. Thanks

Propane Warehouse is my go to store for parts. The link is for tank valves, but they carry pretty much everything.

https://propanewarehouse.com/product-category/propane-valves/cylinder-valves/

Hey Alan, my goal is to replace my tank, gauge and hoses all at the same time.  If your propane tank is old it's probably not the kind that prevents overfilling (OPD), and many places won't refill them any more.  But I found this on a propane discussion site: 

The 2001 edition of NFPA 58 (the LP-Gas Code) recognizes that horizontally oriented cylinders that were manufactured prior to October 1, 1998, are unable to be retrofitted with the OPD's. As a result of this fact, the Code now exempts these cylinders from having to be retrofit with OPD valves. Any such cylinder must have a label affixed to it to inform the user and the refiller that an OPD valve is not installed.

So if my leak is only at the gauge and the hoses, I may keep my horizontal tank. 

His permanently mounted propane tank does not expire. The permanent ones are ASME not DOT tanks. The problem with the Winnebagos is getting the tank out. They are hard to get to. Propane places like Suburban and Amerigas won't remove a propane tank from an RV. If you bring them one removed they will install new gauges and shut off valves. After they do the work the tank has to be purged to refill it so make sure they understand everything you want done. Do not have it refilled before you reinstall it. Too heavy. Tell them you will bring it back after it's in place

Finding someone to remove the tank is no easy task. Some RV repair paces will do it but a lot of them won't. Most important the tank must be empty before you bring it in

Linda S