Solar Panel and the Roof of an 86 Dolphin

hagamuffn

Well, I did a thing. I bought a 325watt solar panel.  It was only $100! But....in all the excitement, i hadnt even considered how i was going to attach this thing to the roof of this 86 dolphin.  The rig has one of those thin aluminum roofs with small wooden crossbeams underneath.  Getting the solar panel to attach firmly without the wind ripping it off, and possibly the roof, at 60mph is the issue.  I've looked into z brackets, but i dont think these alone will suffice.  Also considered rails, but trying not to put a dozen holes in the roof for obvious reasons.

After spinning over this for the past couple weeks, i figured id consult the wisdom of the forum.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

(p.s.) im budget oriented and will do the work myself, so costly solutions prolly wont do, thanks!)

In my research, i also came across this.  https://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/2207/how-would-adding-a-wind-deflector-in-front-of-roof-mounted-solar-panels-affect-d

the page talks mostly about wind drag, but i think alot of the same concepts apply.  It seems like fabricating a wind deflector for the front of the panel and slight ramp at the back of the panel would be optimal. Then closing up the sides of the panels to prevent wind coming in underneath from the sides.  Maybe vent these side bars to allow heat dissipation?  Again, any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Thanx

Hagamuffn

Plan A.  Z brackets in to the studs. Drill the panel to match. Note the edge of roof is usually a full length 2x2 so if you edge mount the panel that's about the best you can do. The inboard side can catch the studs running across.

Plan B Get electrical conduit or 1x1 angle iron and run it from side to side and use couple of Adel clamps in each corner.

On my rigs I took a piece of FRP about 12" x panel width. Just glued to the front of the panel and the roof. I left the sides and rear open

PS The roof is usually aluminum over a layer of luan plywood If you can't find something for the rear of the panel nearby, you can use a rubber Well nut through the roof. Seal the hole with lap sealer.

Edited by WME

8 hours ago, WME said:

On my rigs I took a piece of FRP about 12" x panel width. Just glued to the front of the panel and the roof. I left the sides and rear open

as far as a wind deflector? 

i havent worked with FRP, where is it available?

7 hours ago, hagamuffn said:

as far as a wind deflector? 

i havent worked with FRP, where is it available?

Big box home stores usually have it, although only in plain white in my experience (special order for different colors). RV repair shop might sell you a piece or two. 

Yes for a deflector. The 12" depends on your roof and how much space there is around the front of the solar panel. I just glued the FRP to the top front edge of the panel and sloped it and glued it to the roof. Use an outdoor rated construction adhesive. This way no extra holes in anything.

Panels get HOT when in the sun so I left the other sides open and the roof of an RV going down the road is very turbulent so "streamlining" the panel is sorta useless.

3 hours ago, Ctgriffi said:

Big box home stores usually have it, although only in plain white in my experience (special order for different colors). RV repair shop might sell you a piece or two. 

thank you kindly.  white works fine for me. ill have to go have a gander

2 hours ago, WME said:

Yes for a deflector. The 12" depends on your roof and how much space there is around the front of the solar panel. I just glued the FRP to the top front edge of the panel and sloped it and glued it to the roof. Use an outdoor rated construction adhesive. This way no extra holes in anything.

Panels get HOT when in the sun so I left the other sides open and the roof of an RV going down the road is very turbulent so "streamlining" the panel is sorta useless.

thanks so much! i feel like i have a better idea as to where to go from here now. again. thanks a bunch

I used FRP because that's what I had. Anything will work, Plexi, metal, plywood