Jump to content

Am I over charging/harming my house battery by being plugged into shore power for a long time?


Recommended Posts

Hi! Am I over charging/harming my house battery (Everstart marine/RV battery) by being plugged in all the time (24/7) into a  30 amp 120V  receptacle (my shore power)?   Reason is I'll be living in my Micro Mini RV for a few months (90 days straight or thereabouts), and I'll always be plugged in.  Should I unplug the house battery, leave things alone, or do something else?  

 

Any other "living in an RV" advice welcome, too.  I've "lived" in my Micro Mini for two weeks in my backyard and so far and I must say it's been a breeze.  I have a gray/black water sewage line I'm connected to, and city water connected (with pressure regulator), so I'm H20 set. Inside, most everything I reach for is at arm's length, max a few steps away.   Importantly, I've gained valuable knowledge/preview, made adjustments, repairs, tweaks, and customized, all in prep for the spring road trip. Still learning, tho :)  Thanks all! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What converter do you have??

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a crappy old converter in my Sunrader but I left it plugged in for years. Thing is I also always had the fridge turned on 120 during this time. I got tired of removing all the condiments so I just didn't do it anymore. I was ready to go anytime and I liked that. During that time my Everstart still lasted 5 years. I think the fridge used enough power to draw enough away from the battery so it didn't cook. I did check the battery though every couple of months and add as needed but it was never close to dry. If your living in it your using that power. I'm sure lots will disagree with me but it sure worked for me. Just check the water in your battery frequently and never add any water that isn't pure distilled

Linda S

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the old chargers were not real well regulated they can be hard on the battery long term. In your case it still can be used to power all of the necessary devices lights, water pump etc they are good at that. Because you are plugged in you have a source of constant power I would suggest a battery maintainer. Disconnect the battery and charge it with the little maintainer plugged into any convent outlet. They make a fairly cheap battery switch that can installed on the battery post to disconnect the battery from the camper so when you need the battery it's just a matter of turning the switch on. I have maintainers connected to my MG and charge 3 batteries in the basement 24/7 (generators, lawn mower etc.) with the little chargers they work fine long term.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...