Correct Window Gasket for '86 Escaper

Escaper86

Hi - hoping someone can help me out here. I'm looking to find the correct window gasketing for the exterior of my 1986 Escaper. Mine is shrinking/cracking, which seems to be a common problem. Below I've included a side view of the gasket that's been pulled out of the window. 

Thanks in advance! 

Toby

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

Searched all my usual sites and I got nothing. Show me pics of the window. Is this fixed glass side or slider side. It's possible you might have to improvise something. Also is that stuff completely trashed? If you remove it all, no cuts please, and soak in hot soapy water it can restore flexibility and stretch to these sometimes. Any place you did cut can be sealed with caulk.

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Searched all my usual sites and I got nothing. Show me pics of the window. Is this fixed glass side or slider side. It's possible you might have to improvise something. Also is that stuff completely trashed? If you remove it all, no cuts please, and soak in hot soapy water it can restore flexibility and stretch to these sometimes. Any place you did cut can be sealed with caulk.

Linda S

Thanks for looking, Linda! I'll have to take pics of the window this weekend - this particular one is a slider on the passenger side of the bunk over the cab, but most of the windows have the problem, sliders and non-sliders. 

Have you heard of someone successfully improvising a replacement? If so, do you know what they used? The functionality of the windows as they are now is actually fine, but the look is just a real bummer. Hoping to clean things up in a way that doesn't damage the function of the window. 

No I can't say I know of a similar improvised replacement but if no other option is available what choice do you have. If it is just visual the soak method I mentioned might be enough. The hot soapy water really helps with the stretch. Rub after with silicone based oil to keep it protected and flexible and prevent it from drying out

Linda S

• 2 months later...

Happy to report that I found one that works! Here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AETUR40/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In case that link goes dead sometime in the future, the company page is here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Seal+Rubber&ref=bl_dp_s_web_8314129011 

Company's name is Seal Rubber. 

This seal works for the larger side of one of our sliding glass windows. I'm still hunting for a replacement for the 'small' side.