Hey htioki,

Been driving 22R and 22re's for 25yrs now, been through 6 engines from LA to Sacramento and even shopped Oregon, but never heard of these guys. For what it's worth, the prices seem too low for a premium engine rebuild.  7 year 70K mi guarantee seems a bit "wishfull". I have thrown the dice and lost on motors with pro-looking shops and great guarantees before, myself.  Remember this, if the ship hits the sand, after small claims court, even if you win, you still gotta get them to pay up . Ask me how I know.... 

Besides inexperienced/bad labor, the most common way substandard shops save $ to offer a cheap motor is using Chinese parts. I've seen Chinese cams that looked like they were 30-50K mi old that got pulled out of a motor with less than 3K miles on it.  Ask around in 4WD and crawler forums down there, they run their motors hard. There's got to be a solid motor builder that close to the desert.  Remember, the only time a Toyota RV motor ever sees an easy day, is when it's parked. I would consider buying from a reputable premium shop and having it shipped, then installed by your trusted mechanic.

These guys are an acknowledged shop at the top of the food chain up here nearby in Chico:

https://22reperformance.com/#youmadeit

My buddy has one of their motors and it's a thing of beauty.

Just my opinion, buy the best and only cry once.

Good luck,

BR,

TG

I second the 22reperformance recommendation. They are so good they often have a year long wait list for an engine. One of our members here Totem had one shipped all the way to Michigan and he was very impressed with the increased performance. 

Linda S

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 5:27 PM, ToyoGuy said:

Hey htioki,

Been driving 22R and 22re's for 25yrs now, been through 6 engines from LA to Sacramento and even shopped Oregon, but never heard of these guys. For what it's worth, the prices seem too low for a premium engine rebuild.  7 year 70K mi guarantee seems a bit "wishfull". I have thrown the dice and lost on motors with pro-looking shops and great guarantees before, myself.  Remember this, if the ship hits the sand, after small claims court, even if you win, you still gotta get them to pay up . Ask me how I know.... 

Besides inexperienced/bad labor, the most common way substandard shops save $ to offer a cheap motor is using Chinese parts. I've seen Chinese cams that looked like they were 30-50K mi old that got pulled out of a motor with less than 3K miles on it.  Ask around in 4WD and crawler forums down there, they run their motors hard. There's got to be a solid motor builder that close to the desert.  Remember, the only time a Toyota RV motor ever sees an easy day, is when it's parked. I would consider buying from a reputable premium shop and having it shipped, then installed by your trusted mechanic.

These guys are an acknowledged shop at the top of the food chain up here nearby in Chico:

https://22reperformance.com/#youmadeit

My buddy has one of their motors and it's a thing of beauty.

Just my opinion, buy the best and only cry once.

Good luck,

BR,

TG

Thanks for the feedback!

On 1/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, kevinchinook said:

You're location says SoCal. Have you tried calling up Yotamasters in Corona, CA?

I third 22re performance and also recommend LCE as a backup option.

I haven't.  I'll look them up. Thanks!