4x4 conversion on a 78 pickup 79 dolphin, anyone attempted this recently?

I don’t know what else to call the four headlight 79’ dolphins, I order 78’ Toyota pickup parts so I came up with this name to get a little more specific for people. My L43 is a bust and it’s time for a new tranny, I’ve been looking at the G54 and it seems ideal on all fronts. Most come 4x4 and I’ve just come into a little additional cash and a 4x4 conversion is a dream I intend to tackle one day and figured why not now. I intend to continue to add weight over the years, 26 now and living full time in my work in progress and plan on living this way for some time, so although it’s small I think I can cramp most the features I desire with mods over time, like making my upstairs loft a pop top with an aerodynamic canvas triangle roof storage behind that, maybe small balcony. Wood stove is almost ready to go in, I have some very minor rot that I’ve got sealed up now, but one day will need to be done, the back wall probably sooner than later and either want a bay door styled thing or a lifting wall to make for canapoy. Maybe even a wood stove water heater for a warm bath now and again, why not! I’ve taken all the “modern” amenities out so that was some reduction in weight, but had to curtail the music studio until I could compensate the weight. I’m hoping changing to a hefty 4x4 set up would fix a lot of that issue. Would like to keep my 20R, but if anything seems wrong with it when I pull the tranny, it’s pronanly a whole additional 10 k to switch to diesel I’m guessing, but one can dream.

my main question is what parts will I need to change over and will I have to weld the body if I went with the least amount of lift options. I know I’m up for axle/ cv swaps, driveshaft, tranny and transfer case, wheels and tires, steering system and likely a new clutch just to polish the whole manual shift system up while I’m in there. Can I do all this for under 10k, I’d like to get the tranny as a rebuilt from Marlin, maybe the differentials there too, but axles and everything else I don’t mind getting from donor rigs. Any help is greatly appriciated!

You really need to focus on one project at a time. Maybe even in different threads for cab modifications and chassis. Far easier  for people to come up with ideas for you and offer help. My son estimated 10 years ago that converting my Sunrader to 4x4 would cost about 5 grand and at the time he was building rock crawlers and had access to tons of parts from friends so it only goes up from there. Here is one of the best conversion threads I know of and while he was happy with the job it still had some problems with the chassis not being level

Toyota Sunrader 4x4 Conversion Project - Improvement and Do-It-Yourself Projects you have done to Share! - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

It's a very complicated job

Linda S

You will need deep pockets. If money is no problem you should try to find a “Wolverine “ Toyota pickup. They are extremely rare and made in 1978. It’s a Toyota authorized dealer special order option. They came completely setup for 4x4 operation. There were less than 100 of these trucks made. They retailed for over 9K. A standard Hilux was a little over 2K at that time.

They show up on eBay occasionally. Not cheap, but if you’re looking for a turnkey 4x4 chassis’s this is the one to find.

I am completely new to this line of MH, so please forgive any ignorance I may display. How much chassis modification was done to the Toyota pickup to install the Dolphin, Sunrader, etc. MH parts? I assume it was more than the process of sliding a camper shell into a Ford or Chevy p/u, but how much more? Might it be possible to acquire a Toyota 4x4 Tacoma of later vintage and transplant the MH to it? If so, might that not be a cheaper and less labor-intensive alternative?

The chassis have been modified with extended frame rails to support the motorhome body. A Tacoma would also need those extensions. Not a simple job. Moving most motorhomes home bodies to new  chassis would also be a challenge.  Do you have the equipment to move 1 to 2 thousand lbs without damaging it? It would have to be gutted first too and all appliances reinstalled. 

Linda S