Canadian Toyota Tinkerers Wanted!

eOs

I have a JDM Toyota LiteAce built on a 1990 CM65 (Diesel 2C) called the CampMate.  As it is in almost perfect condition I have been doing hidden modifications.  Key idea being modernization while keeping with the 90's styling and japanese philosophy of no space wasted.

Some of my future plans require some extra hands, and so far no RV shop is willing to even look at it.   

Here is a google album of the exterior and interior!

Goo.gl Photo Album

Anyone interested in beer money and bragging rights?  This is a rare beast!

Well the difficulty here is that your vehicle and ones like it were never imported to North America. I do see more and more of them showing up now that they are old enough to be imported. Did the guy you bought it from know a mechanic? Keep an eye out on craigslist or Kijiji for any others like it then message the seller and ask about mechanics. Parts are going to be difficult too and most will have to be imported from Japan . There is also an importer in the UAE that ships for a very reasonable price. I know there are camper importers in Portland area and another in Seattle that might have a line on mechanics. They both advertise on craigslist. Worse case scenario you can ask me to find parts. I'm kind of good at it. Just know it's not going to be found in driving distance unless you drive a very big yacht. It is very beautiful. What exactly do you need to do

Linda S

Here is one of the importers I mentioned. I'm sure they have a line on some mechanics.

OttoEx Adventure Vehicles and Campers | Portland, OR | USA

Linda S

Oops found one in BC too. better for you

Silk Road Autos- Delica and Hiace van importer Vancouver BC Canada - Toyota Hiace and Landcruiser, Mitsubishi Delica van, Nissan Skyline

Actually, the mechanical side of things I have covered completely.  The broker I bought it through did put me in touch with a fellow from New Zealand who runs a shop specifically for JDM Toyota's and Mitsubushi's.  I also found a mechanic locally, used to work for Toyota in Japan in that era so he knows the motor quite well.   Thank you very much for your input - I have also been very lucky to find a reliable source of parts direct from Japan as well, just for the truck parts at least... If I run into things I can't source I will be sure to ask you!  I plan on buying quite a few parts in the next few years as spares - one thing I didn't mention is that I have a six-year mechanical warranty that is supposed to cover both labour and parts (we'll see if/when it happens).  Finding tires is easy, rims are a bit of a challenge but several North American models from the 90's have identical hub spacing etc.

The real challenge is the RV part of the rig is built in a custom coach house.  We're talking wood cabinetry, laminate, and all sorts of strange cubbies and storage bins.

The easiest part of what I'm looking for is some tips or assistance on doing fibreglass repairs (one small part of the gel-coat has been damaged, but no leaks!).  

The hardest part of what I'm hoping to find is is the modernization part... and that is where I'm spending much of my spare time researching.   Most RV's have vinyl or plastic interior panels and (relatively) square edges etc.  This baby is rounded, the ceiling and wall is foam-padded velour, and many things are hidden or integrated into other things.  i.e. the couch back separates, bars go into catches in the ceiling, and voila you have a bunk bed.  Couch unfolds into a super-queen, practically a king-size bed.

One thing where it fails is the fridge - it has a 30 year old 12 volt fridge.  It works great, but that's where 90% of my power usage is.  Modern fridges are about 2.5 amp/hour - this one is averaging about 20-25 amp/hour.  The compressor does turn off, but since I can't get it serviced here I have no idea how well it works.  Might just need extra insulation - seems to be what some folks suggest elsewhere.

Another is the awning - it's a 10 footer from a US company still in existence, Carefree of Colorado, but I have been having a heck of a time finding one that will fit my mounts  as it's the style with independent legs, not fixed to the side of the RV.  The existing one has a blown gearbox, but even so.. it covers such a little patch.   So instead, I want to do something like this:

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/nomadic-270-lt-awning-driver-side-19559907-dark-gray-cover-with-black-cover-universal/

A wraparound awning would be much nicer, and add to the character too!     I haven't met anyone who has used one of them, and Amazon has made it so I can't tell real from fake, so I'm not sure who to trust.   They range in price from $650 to $2650 so any guidance there is a great help!

Other than that, it's more of a hobby I'm going to have to learn myself one step at a time.   I've learned a lot so far!  Thanks for the reply!

Edited by eOs

8 minutes ago, linda s said:

Yup they're not far from me - for a while I was eyeing up one of their TownAces as it has a hatch opening into the shower.

Not used them as a mechanic, but they're one of several available.

The fellow in Portland might have access to some parts so thank you for the contact!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like fun but BC is too far.  I"m three hours south of Saulte Sainte Marie Ontario.  I do know a reefer tech factory certified by both major manufacturers.  He is two hours south of the Soo but if you ever drove this far he could take care of you.

• 1 month later...