82 sunrader gas tank hose fumes

cannante

I would like to replace the hose for my gas tank. there are fumes, very mild but there are definitely fumes.

I have been told that it is a hard thing to come by the proper equipment to replace the hose.

Anyone else have experience with this?

If it's original, it probably does need replacing, but have you verified that it's definitely the fill hose that's actually damaged/punctured/cracked? 

I ask mostly because, last year, I dealt with a gas-smell issue on my rig and was startled to discover the "soft" fuel return lines near the tank had been almost completely chewed through! Was not hard to diagnose; gas was dripping out of there, steadily, whenever the motor was running! Just a thought...

^What he said.

If the filler hose is the problem, the correct stuff is about $1.25 per INCH.

• 2 weeks later...

i have replaced the filler hose and the small vent hose .on my 87 dolphon . and previous 1978 minmax . in both cases the main filler hose was dry rot and craked . gas fumes inside rv could make a boom boom . shure was at the least sickning . no special tools  do not use raderater hose gas will eat it out . that is why this neoprene fuel tank hose sold by the inch . not by foot bought mine at napa  auto parts . the modern hose is better made . these tanks have drain plugs on the bottom . you need a good size floor jack .to loor the tank up and down . unhook tank unhook hoses from tank . unscrew the screw at the filler  pull hoses out . do this job outside if possable . bad gas fumes come out of the tank . i did myn almost up too the outlet did not drain . but the tank was heavy better almost empty .take  old hose with you to order most dont stock it. the vent hose is standred gas vent hose . not a big deal on the little one .

On 1/20/2021 at 1:34 AM, 5Toyota said:

.take  old hose with you to order most dont stock it. the vent hose is standred gas vent hose . not a big deal on the little one .

So the way you are talking about this, it seems I'm going to have to get it up hoisted two times once to remove the gas fill hose to get it ordered, and then again to replace it?

yes i am sorry i forgot to say yes you will have to raise it .  but also need it raised  then you  nee d a jack to raise and lower the tank. my freands have a farm shoup they had some masiv e heavy wood ramps i was able to put the rear tires                        on . used a big floor jack too lower and raise the tank i did not unhook it all the way  just stuff hoses down from fill hole  h ock on tank use new clamps .

On 1/22/2021 at 7:32 PM, 5Toyota said:

yes i am sorry i forgot to say yes you will have to raise it .  but also need it raised  then you  nee d a jack to raise and lower the tank. my freands have a farm shoup they had some masiv e heavy wood ramps i was able to put the rear tires                        on . used a big floor jack too lower and raise the tank i did not unhook it all the way  just stuff hoses down from fill hole  h ock on tank use new clamps .

Yes, I was afraid of that.

Thank you for your help

I replaced the fuel filler hose on my Seabreeze couple of years ago. It was a learning process but got it done. I did not have to lower the tank.

I purchased a tool from Harbour Frieght. to access the existing clamp. My first attempt: I took the old hose to ORielys and purchased Fuel Hose. Existing hose had S curve and after trying for fit for some time I realized this hose I purchased was not flexible to make the curve needed to fit. Second Attempt: Then found a flexible fuel hose from GATES # PE 10200 Fuel filler Hose at $1.19/inch. They recommended using T-BOLT Clams, Part # 32757. After bunch of yelling and screaming and a bit of cursing I got it done. There is no space to put hands in, Thanks to Harbour Frieght for this tool.