We have a 1985 Toyota Mini Cruiser. I am replacing the original rear leaf springs because of the age of them. The springs have what I would call helper springs that are bolted on each end (front & back). One of these helper springs is broken.

I spoke to a company who specializes in springs and they told me they do not do anything with the helper springs. They told me that the helper springs would have been added by someone other than Toyota and if I wanted the helper springs I would need to look for an aftermarket supplier.

I am wondering if the helper springs are actually needed? If so, are there any recommendations where to get them? The quote for the leaf springs which is a stack of 5 is $325 each. Thank you.

Others on the forum have purchased/installed new spring packs and can speak more specifically, But, in general, if you're getting new spring packs that are truly rated to handle the weight of your rig (which your supplier should verify), then you don't need the helpers. 

They probably added the helpers because the old springs were sagging. Many here have used these springs with good results. They are for a 4x4 but fit our rigs and the extra weight counteracts the lift you would get on a 4x4. Way cheaper

ARB Old Man Emu Leaf Spring - CS010R | 4wheelparts.com

Here are some before and after pics

1983_tamworth-nh-12-200x200.jpg

20201019_160754.jpg

Linda S

Thanks for the link. When I put in 85 Toyota 4 Runner-Deluxe (which I got from the VIN)  it says that the part doesn't fit our vehicle. If I try any of the other options listed for 85's I get the same results.

Edited by mlcrrc

Yes it's for a 4x4 but like I said members have used it with good results. Some of the other rigs I know these went on were an 88 Sunrader and an 86 Winnebago. Those were both the larger style camper. You said the leaf springs you were going to buy were 5 leaf. These are 7 leaf. The originals were 6 leaf. Let me send you the full thread on this

New leaf springs - Engines - Transmissions - Drive Train - Suspension - Chassis - Steering - Exhaust - Tires - Etc. - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

Linda S

What are the springs you intended to put on, website link? The only 5 leaf ones I know of are 245 not 325