Shroud/cover for rooftop AC

htioki

Google search results show new plastic covers or shrouds for rooftop ac units run about $130 which seems pretty pricy for a piece of plastic.  Curious to see what folks have done to repair or replace their AC covers.

I have seen some people spend many hours piecing and fiberglassing their AC covers back together and most didn't look too pretty when they were done. Your current cover probably lasted 20 years. 130 bucks sounds cheap for something that is outside withstanding sun, rain and wind and lasts 20 years. 

Linda S

Depending on the size and make of your a/c you could try to find one at an RV salvage yard. $130.00 is not unreasonable for a new cover. You could try doing repairs, but as Linda stated it’ll never look as good as new.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like my options are either finding a good used one or a new one.  I doubt that the new cover will last 20 years, as things aren't as well made as they were used to.   

• 3 weeks later...

Be happy you found a replacement cover at all.  I broke mine (my fault) and could not find a cover so spent hours gluing it back together.  Spend the $130.

• 5 months later...

My AC cover on my 1984 Escaper I bought in July 2020 was in pretty bad shape so I bite the bullet and bought the replacement from Amazon for around that $130 price. I was concerned it would not line up correctly but fortunately all the screw holes were a match and the swap over only took a few minutes. The improvement in the look of my RV with a new cover was well worth the $130. 

It would be very helpful to others if you could post the make and model of your AC unit and a link to the replacement cover you bought. Buying something so large when your not sure it will fit can be a pain of a guessing game. I'm sure many of us have the same AC unit as your do. Knowing what will fit perfectly is a big plus

Linda S

Linda - Good idea it took a little digging but I was able to find my Amazon order for the cover. This is the link to the cover for my Dometic Duo Therm 13,500 Air Conditioner. Below is a picture of the cover when I bought the RV. I recommend that anyone to replace the cover before it gets bad like this because in my case the previous owner had parked it under a tree and a branch fell down and lodged in the AC and when they turned it on it ended up breaking off some of the cooling fan blades. I had to replace that fan blade assembly in order for the AC to work correctly.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IABG8OI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4814205B-59F1-4D7C-951E-761A90D446B7.jpeg

Edited by MidwestDad

Sun makes those shroud covers brittle over time. Same goes with the vent covers. I had a vent cover suddenly rip off while on the highway from the wind resistance. I pulled over and retrieved it and it was in brittle pieces.  Wasn't very old either.