Lookin into removing my rooftop ac unit.

I want to get rid of my roof top ac unit and I'm wondering if any of y'all know if I should just cap off the wires or try and remove them.  After the hurricane hit the city, I was driving around and a low hanging wire garbed ahold of the ac and ripped the shroud apart. I have to check to see if it cracked the frame and the only way to do that is pull the aluminum roof back, so I gotta take it off anyway. any help would be appreciated 

62689562353__6659158D-AED1-4102-BFEE-12A30A8FF55F.jpg

I see no issues with your roof. Pulling back metal would be excessive. Just cap the wires. Most people fill the hole with a roof vent. If you want one with a fan the wires can be moved to a 12 volt connection to power that 

Those old air conditioner covers can get so brittle they crack all by themselves.  

Linda S

I was checking to see if the aluminum frame was cracked and also check for water damage. I know I have to replace all the luan in the shithouse, so I dont think I can really get around pulling the roof back, that is, unless you know a better way, then I'm all ears. 

Well your roof looks straight and solid. If there's rot or broken beams all you have to do is push on it from the inside and see if it flexes a lot. If it got hit hard enough to do real damage I don't think the AC unit would be sitting so square on the roof. It would sag somewhere it got pushed in. It doesn't take much pressure to break apart an old plastic cover. Doesn't mean it did major damage. 

Linda S

The rot is in the rear, mostly. the center seems solid and I've already taken care of the over heard bunk.

Now to do the sides 

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

Edited by MorboTheDMVclerk-DestroyerofDays

I put a Maxx Fan vent where my air conditioner was. Although I know now that you can rewire the 110 in your converter charger to a 12 volt line I didn't know at the time I was installing it. Probably 2005? I think. I was a newbie. I ran wires from the fan along the ceiling to the light fixture nearest to it and covered them with white cord cover. Not very noticeable and still works. I do highly recommend these fans. They have a built in rain shield and crank down to be almost invisible when not in use. Add to that after all these years it stills works perfectly. Amazingly this is only about 40 bucks more than I paid 15 years ago.

MaxxAir MaxxFan Deluxe - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Linda S

Looks like your doing an awesome job of rebuilding your camper.

Hey Morbo, I just came across the pics of the overcab restoration you posted here. Looks like you did a great job. Would you mind sharing a link or some info about the veneer/foamboard you used?