LED Tail light upgrade info.

neilp

I just upgraded my tail lights using the Bargman 47-84-005 LED replacement unit that is a direct bolt on replacement for their original incandescent unit on my Itasca Spirit. I read a number of threads here about using a replacement flasher unit to normalize the flash rate. For those not aware of this issue, the LEDs draw less current than an incandescent bulb and cause the OEM flasher to cycle faster. You can add a resistor in line with the lights but to me this reduces the value of the upgrade as you would them be drawing the same current as the original bulbs. 

Anyway I wanted to post my findings regarding the replacement flasher unit. Looking at posts here and on other Toyota sites the Novita EP34 was recommended. However this did not work for me. Some further research led me to the Novita EP35 as the answer - I think there are two wires flipped so you can likely use either if you rewire the OEM socket that the flasher plugs into. All works well with that flasher unit. This one also has the mounting tabs so that it will attach to the original bracket where the EP34 does not have these mounting tabs.

Toyota must have changed the wiring at some point - maybe 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder? Mine is a V6:  1993 camper, 1992 chassis.

I thought it worth posting a new thread so that folks can find this as there are several threads on this topic. 

original.jpg

ep35 installed2.jpg

ep35 installed.jpg