NE1 considered a woodfire stove?

hagamuffn

With 2020 coming to a close, has anybody given any considerable thought to installing a small woodfire stove in their rv? Propane is cheap and accessible now, but are there any feasible replacements should it not be?

Had a friend with an old converted school bus with a full size wood stove in the back quite a sight going down the road!

11 hours ago, linda s said:

It is possible to install a wood stove in a Toyota motorhome. There's a description on this blog. The Kimberly stove he uses is not cheap though. Lots of other interesting stuff in the blog too

Living in a Van down by the River!!! (timmystoyota.blogspot.com)

Linda S

Wonderful blog that I'll Def spend more time reading through. Found the post with the Kelly stove. Thanks Linda! That couple and us seems like we'd prolly have alot in common!

6 hours ago, Gary_M said:

Or a G-Stove form Norway. They are cheaper and use these in tents to my surprise.

Cheers,

Gary

Forgot about the name for those stoves. I've also seen the vids with them in tents, but never in an rv. Good lookin out

1 hour ago, Maineah said:

Had a friend with an old converted school bus with a full size wood stove in the back quite a sight going down the road!

This seems to be a pretty common setup within the schooly community. I know of at least 3 busses personally, all with full size wood stoves. Overkill in one of these Lil toys tho. You ever seen those ol quarter log cast iron stoves? Pretty cute, and kinda what I was thinking, though something more updated like the others suggested may be more practical

In the process of finding Timmy's blog I found out he has sold his Toyota 4x4 camper and built a wooden camper on a Ford 7.3 diesel. He's a major kayaker too and there are a ton of fantastic videos. 

Full Send Alaskan Overland - YouTube

I intend to watch all of them.

He moved his Kimberly stove to his new camper

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

In the process of finding Timmy's blog I found out he has sold his Toyota 4x4 camper and built a wooden camper on a Ford 7.3 diesel. He's a major kayaker too and there are a ton of fantastic videos. 

Full Send Alaskan Overland - YouTube

I intend to watch all of them.

He moved his Kimberly stove to his new camper

Linda S

Diesel is another bucket list item of mine. Imagine growing a crop and fueling a diesel genny! Thanks for the link!

Hagamuffn

One of our other members put a VW diesel in his Toyota camper. Will try to find the thread tomorrow. 

Linda S

Can't sleep so I just found it. Long thread but super interesting. 

Sunrader tdi swap - Page 3 - Engines - Transmissions - Drive Train - Suspension - Chassis - Steering - Exhaust - Tires - Etc. - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

23 hours ago, linda s said:

One of our other members put a VW diesel in his Toyota camper. Will try to find the thread tomorrow. 

Linda S

Can't sleep so I just found it. Long thread but super interesting. 

Sunrader tdi swap - Page 3 - Engines - Transmissions - Drive Train - Suspension - Chassis - Steering - Exhaust - Tires - Etc. - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

Ur the best!

The "Cubic Mini" woodstove for RVs

A neighbor of mine rebuilt on old RV entirely from just the frame, put in an elegant little wood stove that takes wood no longer than 5" long, called the "Cubic Mini" for cabins, RVs, & boats no longer than 40 feet.  Says it works like a champ.  Just under one foot in all dimensions, mounts on the wall with a nice heat shield, good stovepipe & small chimney sticking out on top. 

I always thought wood stoves in our little Toyo rigs was not workable, 'till I saw these. Pretty much a cube, no dimension larger than 1 foot.  These pics don't show the heat shield well, it runs all the way to the ceiling.

cubic_mini_1.jpg.19a06b93b0a0d4a72fefade74ca259d1.jpg

cubic_mini_2.jpg.b25a384ded503610341964e5dfed37aa.jpg

cubic_mini_3.jpg.89df3f7de63c784005d51ed94c018ad1.jpg

Edited by tstockma

Wow. Those really look like the ticket. For around $500 how could one go wrong?