I need new front brakes for my 85 Toyota Dolphin please help

Hello,

My front brakes on my 95 Toyota Dolphin have started to make a grinding noise when stopping. So I figure I needs at least new pads, by I'm curious as to if I should replace the rotors at the same time and also what else I should be replacing or maintaining while I'm doing this project. I appreciate the help. Thanks,

AJ

I know when I did my breaks I took the rotors to two or three different shops until I found one that could turn them because the whole is so big in the center.

nowadays a lot of people with other vehicles don't even get them turned because you can buy new ones so cheap online but I never looked into replacing them.

Yeah front brake pads and rotors cost $50-75 so pretty reasonable to replace. I was wondering if you knew the size and whether I should use ceramic or semimetalic? Also should the calipers be replaced as well?

Thanks,

AJ

I wouldn't replace the calipers unless you're having an issue with them but that's just my opinion.

I believe the front brakes use make and model of a three-quarter ton Toyota dually PU but I'm sure one of these forum toy experts can tell you for sure.

• 6 months later...

I have been looking for the big wheel bearings socket, 54 mm.

I have to go to an auto parts store for that, right?

it's really hard to hear on the audio but the guy said I could use a hammer and a chisel instead?

Other than that, the 17 mm socket, and the 10 mm and a screwdriver, I don't think I need anything else to remove and replace the pads and rotors?

2 minutes ago, john*thomas said:

Most auto parts stores do have these. For no more than they cost don't hammer and chisel. 

Thanks

I'm wondering from what I am reading, if I should replace the brake lines, too?

the rubber flex lines-- yes.   the big socket can be had where truck parts are sold. a regular socket like you have in your set wont work as the thickness wont let it fit in the hub. the one you need is stamped steel.  the nuts shouldn't be that tight. the outer is held by the bent washer, and the inner only puts a few pound feet of torque on the tapered brngs

i was thinking about rear brngs. sorry.    waterpump pliers (slip joint) are all you need to remove the nut.

3 hours ago, cannante said:

Thanks

I'm wondering from what I am reading, if I should replace the brake lines, too?

If it's been a long time since they were replaced or you aren't sure it most likely would give you a peace of mind. 

On 6/30/2021 at 7:40 PM, john*thomas said:

If it's been a long time since they were replaced or you aren't sure it most likely would give you a peace of mind. 

I don't know enough about cars to feel like I would be able to do it without being probably equally worried that I screwed it up.

Rotors and pads seem simple enough, but brake lines see much more complicated?

On 6/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, extech said:

i was thinking about rear brngs. sorry.    waterpump pliers (slip joint) are all you need to remove the nut.

So, I am finished with the rear brakes and now need to replace the front brakes. I don't know if they have been bled, but don't I need to take all the wheels off to bleed the brakes?

I assumed that they were bled in the back when the back was replaced, will they need to be redone when I do the front?