1982 Toyota Odyssey dually conversion questions

Hi, I have a 82 Odyssey with the single hub dually wheels. Is it necessary to convert the rear end to a later model dually or is it possible to replace the single hub dually with a larger wider single wheel? I have had my Odyssey for years now with no problem, except when itโ€™s time for tire repair. The single hub dually rim is a problem at most tire shops as they wonโ€™t work on them. Is there a single wheel solution that is available? Thank you for any ideas ๐Ÿ’ก๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝย 

What tire shops are refusing service?

ย 

Wall Mart, Les Schwab and Discount Tire gladly worked on mine with no refusals.

ย 

Gary

Edited by Gary_M

Depends on how much your motorhome weighs as to if you can use single wheels.

If you have the 5 lug axle itโ€™s unsafe especially with duellyโ€™s.

If I understand your post correctly, you have duel rear wheels that cannot be separated. You could try a bubble balancer, or just leave then unbalanced. Youโ€™ll never get to a speed where balance is important.๐Ÿ˜‚

These tires would work on conventional Toyota rims which you could buy for cheap. Lots of them in salvage yards everywhere.ย 

Maxxis Bravo Series UE-168(N) 205R14C D/8PR BSW Tires (tires-easy.com)

You might want to add a sway bar in the back though for more stability. Also not that expensive

1982 toyota truck rear sway bar - Google Search

Linda S

Thanks for the input!

I was thinking of a wider treaded tire to compensate for swapping out the duallies.ย 
Would the 15โ€ rim WME linked above fit ย my camper, and if so what tire would be recommended?ย 

2 hours ago, dugonore said:

Thanks for the input!

I was thinking of a wider treaded tire to compensate for swapping out the duallies.ย 
Would the 15โ€ rim WME linked above fit ย my camper, and if so what tire would be recommended?ย 

27โ€ diameter is usually as large as you can go and still fit inside the rear wheel wells. Best to measure first before buying. Some manufacturers may have different size openings.

Well you just asked for a bigger rim, you didn't say it had to fit๐Ÿคก. The 10" width requires a BIG tire and will require much body work to make them fit. Like a proper tire is 33x12.5x15. Bad news is the 33" dia.

I dont know if the overall track width gain with a 15x8 rim would be worth it. But its a perfect combo for a Toy.

15x8 rim with a 225/60/15 is an exact match with a 185x14 as far as dia. The tire is a P series rated at 1525 lbs.

In the pre-foolie days many of the Toys used an L60 bias tire.

1525 is not a safe max load with single tires. The brand I posted Maxxis has D load range tires in several different sizes including 15 and larger wheels. Getting a single tire wide enough to match the track of the duallies is really not reasonable. That's why I suggested you add to the stability of the suspension with a rear sway bar.ย 

Linda S

Thanks again for your interest and feedback! Itโ€™s very helpful๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ

36 minutes ago, linda s said:

1525 is not a safe max load with single tires. The brand I posted Maxxis has D load range tires in several different sizes including 15 and larger wheels. Getting a single tire wide enough to match the track of the duallies is really not reasonable. That's why I suggested you add to the stability of the suspension with a rear sway bar.ย 

Linda S

ย 

Linda is right about weight. I just grabbed the first tire size that would fit correctly. The Maxxis MA-S1 in the 255/60/15 size is rated at 1875lbs and has a 27" dia.

Redesigning the rear suspension of a Toyhouse is a bit more complected that slapping on a 15x10 wheel. BUT it has been done.

Just don't forget the spare and front tires.