Welcome JJ,

I'm not a Dolphin guy, but if you could submit some photos of the problem area, I think one of the other members could give you some input, or hazard a good guess about the location of the tops of the bolts you want to locate and how to get to them.

I will say I think it might get old pretty quick making that first big step up without the bolt-on unit, unless you have a replacement-step plan. Meanwhile, if you're still dedicated to the plan, I'd be squirting some penetrating oil up onto those frozen nuts in prep for removal. If they are REALLY frozen, you're likely talking Sawzall and a nice new and sharp blade or a "nut-splitter". Note that, either way, you will still probably need to find the offending bolt heads :pinch:.

Hard to say without pictures and knowing the final objective.

BTW, if you're not mechanically handy, best to conscript someone handy for these tasks and pay for brews and/or pizza.

BR,

TG

2020_12_13_21_14_43_Amazon.com_nut_splitter_Mozilla_Firefox.jpg.ca5435d6260bfd8f6e36755fd3336dc4.jpg

If they are anything like a Sunrader the heads are indeed underneath the wooden inside step. On mine they were carriage bolts so they weren't supposed to turn but the wood was rotten so of course they did. On the good side I was glad I had to tear it out. There was a lot of rotten in there that has now been replaced. I wish I could say I did something smart so that wouldn't happen again but truth is I have no idea how I put the bolts for the step back in. They were new, I know that much

Linda S

On 12/13/2020 at 10:27 PM, ToyoGuy said:

Welcome JJ,

I'm not a Dolphin guy, but if you could submit some photos of the problem area, I think one of the other members could give you some input, or hazard a good guess about the location of the tops of the bolts you want to locate and how to get to them.

I will say I think it might get old pretty quick making that first big step up without the bolt-on unit, unless you have a replacement-step plan. Meanwhile, if you're still dedicated to the plan, I'd be squirting some penetrating oil up onto those frozen nuts in prep for removal. If they are REALLY frozen, you're likely talking Sawzall and a nice new and sharp blade or a "nut-splitter". Note that, either way, you will still probably need to find the offending bolt heads :pinch:.

Hard to say without pictures and knowing the final objective.

BTW, if you're not mechanically handy, best to conscript someone handy for these tasks and pay for brews and/or pizza.

BR,

TG

2020_12_13_21_14_43_Amazon.com_nut_splitter_Mozilla_Firefox.jpg.ca5435d6260bfd8f6e36755fd3336dc4.jpg

Thanks, I'll post some pics tomorrow. My son's been working on it. He tried WD-40 but it didn't work.  He tried grabbing the bolt with plyers but the nut still wouldn't budge. I'll tell him about the nut splitter.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:29 PM, linda s said:

If they are anything like a Sunrader the heads are indeed underneath the wooden inside step. On mine they were carriage bolts so they weren't supposed to turn but the wood was rotten so of course they did. On the good side I was glad I had to tear it out. There was a lot of rotten in there that has now been replaced. I wish I could say I did something smart so that wouldn't happen again but truth is I have no idea how I put the bolts for the step back in. They were new, I know that much

Linda S

It's probably the same but I can't try to rebuild anything right now. The steps are bent and hit curbs sometimes so I'd like to get rid of them.