Chinese diesel air heater - great advice

canadasunrader

The furnace in my 1986 Sunrader was toast when I got him. Didn't want to replace with propane as there is far too much condensation with propane.
We have enough problems with condensation in our homes and I want dry heat.
So I bought a Chinese knock off of the original Eberspacher diesel parking heater.
There are two original ones you can buy with an overall better build than the knock off, but the price - $2K+ - is ridiculous.
I bought my Chinese one from a warehouse in the US for $109 with free ship.
I've read myriad reviews online. And, yes, there are those that claim the Chinese models will end all your future happiness, but there are also those that swear by them.
If you are looking for a great heater and have oodles of cash, then by all means get the original Webasto or Eberspacher diesel heater and have someone install it for you. It will be excellent.
However, if you are like most of us, and simply trying to make it all work on a budget, then I highly recommend having a look at the Chinese ones.
Before you do, there is an excellent overall series of videos here that explains how they work, how to best install the heater, and how to maintain them.
John has many years experience with these heaters and his videos are a lifesaver. Nothing better than someone who knows what they are talking about and is willing to share.

Edited by canadasunrader
word

• 3 weeks later...

Further information here on my experience installing a Chinese Diesel Heater in my Sunrader.
I am no expert. I barely get my pants on the right way in the morning.
But having read a lot about these heaters - and watching all of Aussie John's comprehensive videos - I am managing to get somewhere.
Here are a couple of photos so far.
I am nearly ready to turn it on, but I still have a few more things to do.

Just purchased a 5kw version on ebay from Warmtoo.

I am placing it underneath in a space that was previously an outside cabinet for propane. Removed the cabinet. Fiberglassed the void on the outside, so it's a nice, protected space for the heater. Here are a few pictures so far. Not finished yet. As you can see the fuel filter and pump are not secured yet.....

A few thoughts: Warmtoo was about as helpful as a wet tissue. I tried to ask about components and differences in the LCD units and remotes before buying, but no help offered. You get what is in the box, and if you don't like it, too bad, return it if you want. I'm not sure why someone doesn't create a business for themselves using these CDHs? Buy the base components from China and then upgrade all the cheap, no good parts that ship with them from sellers on ebay.

I must say from someone who is going through this right now as I install, it would have made a huge difference to me to simply buy a pre-tested heater with all the top quality accessory parts already included in the box. Most auto and hardware supply stores I have visited in the last few weeks do not have a clue as to what we need or why. And quite often these dudes are snarky. Ask a stupid question? Get attitude. Not helpful.

It is a right pain in the behind to try and find locally the correct fuel line, the rubber fuel line, the fuel filter, the correct clamps, the air intake line, the air intake filter, the exhaust line, the exhaust muffler.... etc etc. As well, how about good, solid information and options with control panels and remotes.... before purchasing?? I replaced the soft fuel line with a hard one I tracked down at Home Depot. And FYI the rubber hose in the photo is just an outside cover that I created to go over the hard fuel line. It just sits on top as protection. I also tracked down a mushroom style air intake filter that is used on motorcycles. The screen on the cheap plastic one provided is crap, and it's ability to properly "filter" is um questionable. I placed the heater inside a tool box to protect it and then bolted it to the floor above. It's solid. I cut a hole in the intake side of the box and put a 4" metal screen in there to help with fresh intake. The fuel tank is directly above inside a cabinet inside the rig. I added a fuel shut off valve between the tank and the filter. I used heat/fire rated spray foam to seal all the holes in the floor.

My last issue is Magivering the exhaust pipe into a good place pointing down and out the side. Onward and upward.

IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7631.jpg

IMG_7635.jpg

IMG_7639.jpg

Edited by canadasunrader
heater

CSR, This is indeed some inventive fab work and a great idea. (Really liked John's vid too) As has been said before, the stock SunRader furnace leaves much to be desired in efficiency and noise level, to say nothing of the ducting/distribution, which was all collapsed and non-existent in mine. I'll be interested in how it works out for you. Definately an interesting post for those of us who fabricate. Always good to see what you're up to.....

BR,

TG

Had a friend that replace the heater in his Sprinter conversion van with a diesel one he has been very pleased with it nice being able to draw from his fuel tank.