1985 Escaper full suspension and steering overhaul tips, tricks, and questions

Crank up your magnifying glass up there is a comma between 1 ton and Chinook Camper☺️

The PN you show for the Centric caliper, Rock Auto shows it for RWD C&C, 1 ton and Chinook Camper.

Just remember you need a left and right caliper

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the tools to rebuild my own calipers, if they wont clean up properly I go to a local auto parts store with the cores in hand.

If the new parts don't come with a prepaid return, its going to cost you $ to return them.

My steering box was making a loud clank when the steering turned all the way in One direction so I rebuilt it with the help of an Internet post of someone that had done it before me. It seemed to be fine but one year later it went completely bad and I had to replace it with a used one I found at the junkyard.

I discovered I had adjusted that top adjustment incorrectly and if it's even a half turn miss-adjusted that will ruin it after a few thousand miles, so be careful adjusting it.

Pretty common issue on all older Toyota trucks at one time there was a plastic cap on the steering stop they didn't last real long and the metal end of the steering stop would come up against the lower control arm and make a terrible noise on a turn and even worse on a slight dip. Having the MH and several Toyota pickups I just put grease on the lower control where the stop hit it nice and shiny easy to spot. 

I was getting the same “loud clank” before, but wasn’t sure what it was. The box was also leaking from the bottom. I bought a rebuild kit with all the gaskets. Besides adjusting it did you replace any gaskets? Looking at the fsm it seems like a pretty intricate job. Being that steering is a pretty important part of driving and staying alive, I just don’t want to mess things up more than they already are and not dying is also a priority! 

I had a significant leak on my steering box as well and, after weighing the pros and cons, found a local shop that basically does nothing but rebuild steering gears. I generally like to give these things a try, but from what I've read, it can be a tricky job and seems like many DIY-ers who attempt it aren't happy with the end result. It was worth it to me to just drop it off, pick it up in a week, and pay the man.

18 hours ago, hamkid said:

I was getting the same “loud clank” before, but wasn’t sure what it was. The box was also leaking from the bottom. I bought a rebuild kit with all the gaskets. Besides adjusting it did you replace any gaskets?

Yes I used the rebuild kit and if you Google you can find somebody that gives step by step instructions on how to rebuild it using grease to hold the balls bearings in place. I now know you can just replace the upper seal which was leaking without taking the whole assembly apart that's what I did on the replacement gearbox I bought from the junkyard.

Rebuilding it is not that easy but can be done if you have to.

1 hour ago, Ctgriffi said:

I had a significant leak on my steering box as well and, after weighing the pros and cons, found a local shop that basically does nothing but rebuild steering gears. I generally like to give these things a try, but from what I've read, it can be a tricky job and seems like many DIY-ers who attempt it aren't happy with the end result. It was worth it to me to just drop it off, pick it up in a week, and pay the man.

How much did you pay?

7 minutes ago, hamkid said:

How much did you pay?

Yeah, was trying to recall... think it was close to $200, parts and labor.

Mine was leaking pretty good at the input shaft, and I believe that seal is accessible on the older boxes. However, it was a "captured" seal on my newer 91 Warrior steering gear, which was another reason that I didn't get into it myself.

You guys are the best !! I looked at read your step by step support in rebuild. I’m next on rebuilding my 87 Escaper. Thank you all 🙏

A pin punch and a hammer🤪

The correct tool is called a pin wrench and looks like this...https://www.ebay.com/itm/Face-Spanner-Wrench-2-USA-1-4-Pin-Armstrong-Tools-2-246-NEW/293898509344?hash=item446db75c20:g:7ocAAOSwuLdf2Aol

• 2 weeks later...

The right tool always makes it easier. Does the book say that it will unscrew? You can make a red neck wrench out of 1/4" steel plate, a drill press and a couple of grade 8 bolts and nuts. If you have time order the right tool, just measure the distance between the slots so you get a wrench with the right span.

Do you have a big vise or are you trying to just hold the steering box?

Edited by WME

• 3 weeks later...

It’s off! Paid a guy from down the street $10, he recommended I have it rebuilt professionally. I told him “what’s the fun in that”?

9AAC580B-2AB8-4493-B041-72709768F081.jpeg

604420BA-4C55-486D-936F-5238CB601B46.jpeg

AAE708B5-DEBC-497E-843C-397778CCF02C.jpeg

Well it still doesn't come up on any American websites so I had to go to Japan. Here is your part. No bunches of O rings. Just a few seals are all it shows and a gasket. Look at scheme 2

Front steering gear & link for Toyota 4Runner RN55L - Amayama

The sector shaft seal and the worm seal are on Rock Auto but go through the parts to get complete part numbers and maybe you can find more stuff for it. If it says zero US dollars they can't get it either. They do have the worm bearings though. You need 2. New bearings might be nice for a rig with no power steering.

Linda S

Found the worm gear bearings in the US but they are 56 dollars each. Remember you need 2. If you wanted to order them from Japan total cost for 2 including shipping is $62.80 and they are telling me that I would receive it by May 6. Sounds like a damn good deal

Linda S

I don't know that you need them. I was just thinking that with no power steering The easier the bearings roll the easier it would be to steer. Also giving you all options since your doing such a detailed rebuild of your systems

Linda S

I appreciate it! It seems like it’s a good idea and I probably should. I’m just so cheap haha! If I decide to get them, I will order them from that amayama site u sent me.

Edited by hamkid

• 1 month later...

I only replaced the sector shaft seal, reused bearings and worm shaft seal. I ordered the worm shaft seal and cover gasket from the dealership, but they were wrong so I returned them. I need to wrap this thing up ASAP!

CEFD70F5-A200-4DA1-8677-0D87EAC1E2A8.jpeg

51FE8D1F-0E6A-4B3D-9A43-DDA0FACD56BA.jpeg

38A5B73A-D4D2-482B-AC67-57A6428500E5.jpeg

2F5BFCE4-440E-41C4-9B5F-85090FA8FE65.jpeg

926518EA-7F3B-4CAB-A2DA-2FD91B29117B.jpeg

The tag joint pinch bolt should line up with the flat in the shaft.

After you get the steering wheel hooked up, turn it as far as it will go in one direction and turn it all the other way, counting the turns. Turn it back 1/2 the way. Make sure the front wheels are pointed straight ahead. Install pitman arm and see how things align 

Edited by WME