Is this a good deal? 1987 Toyota Escaper 20ft

Hanson

Just wanted some Opinions on this 1987 Toyota Escaper 20ft Class C

They are asking $9300 on the add but they said they would take $8500 on the phone but I'm sure if I showed up with cash I could negotiate it down a little more

Just wanted some input on if this would be a good choice for my first RV, link to the add below.

It looks to be in really good condition for the age with no water damage.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/d/chino-1987-toyota-escaper-20ft-class/7226752159.html

Popular floor plan, wet bath, Escaper's have an aluminum frame so are a bit sturdier. But they are still subject normal leakage.

$$ is up to you to decide if its worth the price

That is a very clean looking camper. I have an 87 Escaper and am generally happy with it. Escapers have an aluminum frame which is nice for those hidden leaks as it won't rot the whole structure anyway. Price doesn't seem terrible considering the appearance (mine was less than half that price with less miles though it was not in the condition that one appears to be in). Know the machine is old and will likely need quite a bit of maintenance. Your purchase price is just the start of your expenses if you don't want to run it into the ground. 

That is a good looking rig and looks very well taken care of.

That said any of these can run into serious renovation expense through moisture rotting the plywood interior.

A rig may never have had a roof leak or any exterior leak at all. Just the moisture of living in an RV will migrate into the plywood and leave a nice looking '

skin of wallpaper and a disaster underneath.

If your serious about this rig I would say that it is well worth the trip to go check it out. Maybe send a PayPal deposit of 1k to hold it and venture out to look at it.

I just sold and delivered my 1988 Itasca to a buyer 800 miles away for 7200 including my travel expenses.

The rig I sold had no original appliances, bathroom, water tank and was set up for a one person operation  and is in need of fresh paint inside and out.

I have extensively rebuilt the interior  of this Rig because of moisture issues and documented it.

It has no real or unusual mechanical issues and I spent about 60 hours of my time going over all the mechanical and structural things I could think of before

heading out to deliver to the new owner.

It was the best tune I have ever had on the engine. The 22re averaged 12 mpg throughout the 800 mile trip through the uphill grades of Pennsylvania.

I have gotten better mpg but not in those circumstances.  The new owner has a really nice Rig and it is going to several years to get my new rig as bulletproof as the one I sold. 

I would take the time and effort to have a look at that rig.

\

The 22RE is an amazing engine.

• 1 month later...

Hello Escaper people!

i just bought a 1986 with the 22RE automatic transmission that I bought in Florida. Turns out the rig needs a lot more work than I expected. I was on my way to upstate NY when the head gasket blew in Pennsylvania. The price of repairing the head gasket was higher, so I found a good mechanic and he put in a replacement engine and now I am ready to start working on the interior mechanicals. Does anyone have the original manual from Damon? I’m a newbie and need all the help I can get!  Thanks in advance for any help.