Hello again!  I bought an Everstart marine/RV battery from Walmart and have a few questions that  need confirmation. 

1. First, is it correct that while driving, the engine alternator will be charging the house battery safely.

2. While on shore power, a 220 volt  connection (part of the RV, 30 amp) can charge the house battery safely

3. While on shore power, a *120* volt connection (220 downgraded w a dogbone to a standard household plug) can charge the house battery safely

And please, any other tips/comments concerning house batteries most welcome.

Picture of both connections included.

Thanks! :)

IMG_5392.jpg

IMG_5394.jpg

220V is not part of the equation... you're probably confusing the size and appearance of the large 30A plug with something similar used for 220V appliances.

Everything in an RV is a) 12V or b) 120V.

The standard 30 amp "NEMA TT-30R" RV plug has three prongs which include hot wire / neutral wire / ground wire, just like the 3 prongs you see on a standard household plug, and both are designed to safely carry 120 volts (but differing amounts of current/amperage). That's why, of course, you can use a simple adapter to plug your rig into a household outlet. Note: if you try to use several high-current 120V devices (roof AC / microwave / toaster / hair dryer / etc) simultaneously while plugged into a typical household outlet, you will most likely trip a breaker (should do so, if things are working correctly).

But, to answer your first question: yes, in most rigs the engine alternator should be charging the coach battery, if things are wired up correctly and you don't have a bad wire/fuse/solenoid in the mix somewhere. In terms of the other questions: Yes, if you have a good, working converter/charger, it will charge your coach battery safely while on shore power—that is one of its two primary jobs.

Edited by Ctgriffi

That is a 30 amp 120V  plug it can not be plugged into anything 220. He is a little tip with the adapter you are limited to 15 amps by design. It can be plugged into a 20 amp service but it's rating is only 15 amps. They have a tendency to make thick cables because they "look"heavy. A 20 amp 120 outlet has a "T" shaped socket the 15 does not.

Thanks@  Dunno how I came up with 220 😆  Images off the Google and sloppy investigation/extrapolation.  

So to be clear, I have:  

12V and 120V shore power capacity.

My running RV charges my house battery thru the alternator.

And provided everything is in proper working order, both modes of shore power connection (12V or 120V) will also charge my house  battery.  

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, ATXBreeze said:

Thanks@  Dunno how I came up with 220 😆  Images off the Google and sloppy investigation/extrapolation.  

So to be clear, I have:  

12V and 120V shore power capacity.

My running RV charges my house battery thru the alternator.

And provided everything is in proper working order, both modes of shore power connection (12V or 120V) will also charge my house  battery.  

Thank you!

Verbiage problems..

1. There ain't 12v shore power. You have 120v ac shore power. From this your converter makes 12v dc to run camper stuff, water pump, lights, stove fan, house heater and charge your house battery.

2. 120v AC shore power will power your RV AC and or a micro wave and any house style outlets.

3. When you are "dry camping", plugged into nothing, your 12v dc house battery will run the lights, water pump, house heater and any vent fans. ANYTHING  that is 120v AC like ROOF AC, microwave and outlets WONT WORK.

Yes driving charges house battery

See #1 ONLY 120v AC shore power will charge house battery

Got it (finally) I think I understood my shore power options/capabilities, and my house battery capabilities (for dry camping/boondocking - which I plan to do plenty of)  all along, just didn't have my technical facts straight :)  Main concern is I didn't want to generate an electrical problem and harm the RV. If all electrical systems are working (and I've put the RV though it's paces plenty), I think I'm good.

Thank you!

They're good questions. I didn't know much on this subject when I began, and I think we all know folks who've owned campers/motorhomes for years who still don't really have a great handle on it...

Good pictures/diagrams are probably more helpful than anything for me; lots of them out there. (110 volt and 120 volt are basically interchangeable in this discussion, btw.)

rv-electrical-system.gif