Propane tank, start up operation, and associated appliance questions please :)

ATXBreeze

I'm a newbie, please forgive the elementary questions!

Firstly, on my 1989 Micro Spirit, the propane tank is built in.  I have a few question regarding start-up operation, the gauge, and the propane powered appliances (I've included pictures)  The gauge, to begin, is hard to read.  Also, there's a red arrow on the face that can be rotated by turning the clear cover. When the cover moves, so does the red arrow.   Is this normal?  Finally, there is a (ground?) wire screwed to the face of the clear cover.  Can someone please explain its purpose. 

I added 2lbs of propane  at U-Haul.  When I got home, I turned on the main valve, went into the cabin to check for a leak, didn't smell propane, good.  Then I turned on one of the burners on the stove top but no propane flowed out.  Perhaps I should have left it on longer, maybe there was air that needed to be purged.  Is there another "turn on" valve I'm missing?  Back to the built in propane tank: I removed a small screw cap on what looks like a regulator (lower left hand on first picture). The face has a large Phillips style face I supposed was for adjusting.  Could  this part of the propane flow equation?

Besides the stove top, there other devices/appliances that I believe are powered by propane. The hot water heater and the refrigerator.  How do I check to see if these other devices are in the propane-off position, and if they are off, how do I turn on? And where are they located?  And where are the pilot lights. 

With no manual (links anyone?) or youtube videos, I don't know how to proceed, and to do it safely.   

As always, Thank You!

IMG_5378.jpg

IMG_5381.jpg

2lbs of propane is not very much. Can't see how full it is from the pic. Red marker should always line up with 80% full cause that's the cut off amount when filling. Go back to Uhaul and ask them what they did to turn your propane off and why. Make them think they did it so they will fix it. The wire is for an internal propane gauge. Look where you check your water tanks and battery charge inside the camper. Is there a marker for propane?

Linda S

Hi. U-haul did not turn anything off.  According to the monitor inside the RV, there is a nearly full tank of propane.  While fiddling with the clear cover I described before, it snapped to nearly full.  Thanks!

Hi Linda. No. There is no propane flowing to the stove.  I've turned the the stove knobs to "On" for a good while (monitoring closely for for distinctive propane smell) also allowing for possible air purge, but with no results.  What about (what I'm calling) the regulator, could this be a possible in-between barrier? 

And to be clear, there is no other valve between the propane tank main valve and the stove, correct?

Of course, it could be that the monitor inside the cabin is indicating  incorrectly that the propane tank is full.  And it could also be true that the indicator arrow on the tank is pointing to nearly empty instead of full (It's hard to tell!), and like you suggested, 2 lbs won't do and the tank needs to be filled to 80%

Thanks!

Update:  The gauge, upon much closer inspection,  is showing about 1/4 tank full.  

Also, I neglected to mention this  There may have been propane in the tank that was several years old (up to 5 years old).  Can propane go bad?

EDIT (after google search) 

"Does propane expire?

Another way you get peace of mind is that propane doesn’t have a shelf life or an expiration date. That’s because propane doesn’t go bad!"

And if propane can go bad, do I need to have all the propane in the tank drained, and start from an empty tank.

Thanks!

IMG_5384.jpg

Edited by ATXBreeze

Did a Goole search on the subject, this was the site that pointed me to the solution: https://rvblogger.com/blog/rv-propane-not-flowing/

The propane detector was #4 on the website list below.  When I turned the LP Detector on, I heard a distinct mechanical engagement.  Turned around, turned on a burner on the stove top,  and propane was flowing.  Me thinks that definitely did the trick. 

"

Luckily, if your RV propane is not flowing, it’s easy to troubleshoot and resolve. Start by checking these four items and chances are you will solve your dilemma.

1. Check to make sure the Propane Valve is On
  2. Check the Excess Flow Valve
  3. Check the Propane Pressure Regulator
  4. Ensure the Propane Detector Inside the Motorhome is On

"

Can you post a picture of this propane detector? Automatic shut off detectors are not common on motorhomes as old as ours so I'm wondering what it looks like. Must also be an after market add on. Others here might be interested in getting one. I do see the large round thing between the propane on off valve and the regulator that has wires coming from it. Must be the tank shut off. The only real negative I can think of is if your 12 volt is dead you will also have no propane. That could be a problem. If I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere I would at least like to be able to eat or make coffee

Linda S

Yes, I'll post a picture tomorrow of the LP detector for sure. It's recessed in to the lower back of the booth style bench seat down low to the ground, the seat w it's back to the refrigerator.   

Are you referring to the 12 Volt House battery?  Don't have one yet, but it's on my list!  I completely agree, wanna eat and *especially* make coffee when stuck in the middle of nowheresville :)

This is the house battery I have in mind, a middlin' brand that won't break the bank: Everstart Marine&RV. ($75 at Walmart)

So I still am confused. Did you have the RV plugged into shore power while trying all this propane stuff or does that detector have an auxiliary battery. No making electronic stuff work without juice

I only use Everstart batteries by the way. They have all lasted a very long time. I think your motorhome though can take a larger size than a group 24 which is what a 75 dollar one would be. Look for sizes and measurements and buy the biggest that will fit.

Linda S

Sorry for not clarifying if I'm using AC or DC juice.  So during all this LP propane experimenting, I've been plugged into a 15 amp connection (using a "dogbone" power adapter).  At home, I also have an outdoor 30 amp connector, which I use all the time, too.  So no shore power yet, just home electricity via extension cords.  I'll be gettin an Everstart soon.  Wanna run everything through it paces before I hit the road.

Thanks! Right now I've gotten a good deal of general info from a pdf I found on this site, an owner's manual for a 1992 Dolphin.  It's specific here and there, but equally general in description and instruction.  My dream is to find a pdf manual of my RV, a 1989 Itasca Micro Spirit.  I've looked everywhere!  This little RV was manufactured and sold in 1989, and one would think that somewhere out there, there would be a nice, comprehensive owner's manual.  I'd be willing to pay to get my hands on one :)

You’re lucky you got your tank filled. Many propane dealers would refuse to fill that tank due to the obvious rust issues. Just an FYI for when you’re traveling.

Not quite filled, I only asked for 2 lbs of propane as I myself was unsure of the general state of the tank.  But you're right Fred.  The person who added the propane did have some pause regarding the rusted state of the tank.  Oh dear. Now I gotta get the tank replaced. Or gently remove as much rust as I can and paint it and never have it filled more than half way.

A couple of us did this to our tanks. My tank was just as rusted, the galvanized paint works well and no one questions the age anymore. 10 years have gone by and my tank still looks great!

Cheers!

Gary

Edited by Gary_M

ASME propane tanks which is what permanently mounted tanks are, are very heavy guage steel. Some surface rust is not going to effect the integrity of the tank. Just lightly sand the surface and paint. You will be fine filling it up. Plus unlike most of us you have an automatic shut off in case of failure

Linda S

Linda, et. al., here's a picture of the LP Gas Detector in my 1989 Micro Spirit. Dunno if it was a standard to the RV, or an add-on. But like I reported before, right after I depressed the "ON" button (the lit amber light), the propane, which had not flowed, flowed to the stove top.  

Anyone else have this NEWTEC gas detector in their RV?  

IMG_5386.jpg

Definitely an ad on . No longer made and the things I could find out about it all refer to it being from about 30 years ago. Not a Winnebago factory part. Must be pretty rare. I've been around on these motorhome sites for at least 15 years and I had never heard of it. Explains my confusion. I have no idea what you would do if it broke. Only detectors of this type I can find now are for marine use and cost close to 300 bucks.

Linda S

If the detector goes, would this be a viable replacement?

https://www.amazon.com/Cazoner-Natural-Detector-Propane-Combustible/dp/B07BWFBQLB/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=0cXgFMSfbrUxkQvBGX1luQ&hsa_cr_id=7998146500301&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0

Just today I ran a test to see about the propane flow and if the Newtec detector indeed must be "ON" for the propane to flow. And yep, it has to be on.  When I unplugged from shore power (turning off the detector), and tried the burners, no propane flow.  Then I plugged into shore power, depressed the "ON" button (amber light came on), and propane flowed. 

When I turned the gas detector on, I heard the same, subtle, electrical/mechanical engagement noise as before.  Thanks!

If you need another detector at sometime you really should buy one made for RV's. Some state campgrounds require them and I don't think a countertop one is enough. The  gas line valve can be removed and you would have a detector only system like the rest of us. If you wanted to keep the automatic shut off I can show you one that will work but like I said it's pricey.  Hey it works now so just run with it

Linda S

Well I'll be darned. I downloaded a pdf for a 1989 Itasca (not the Micro Spirit, the larger one, the one with a van-like front). I went to the LP Gas section, specifically the LP Gas Detector/Alarm, and it's identical to mine, a NEWTEC.  It's built in, standard. Not an after market add-on.  So the LP Gas Detector,  in my Micro Spirit, it would seem, is very likely detector built right into it.  I grabbed a picture, attached. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 7.10.39 PM.png

There does appear to be a propane shut down valve on your propane supply but you did say the stove lights so that should not be any issue. The expansion rate of propane is 270:1 liquid to gas so 2lb should make it work for awhile. Propane because of the expansion ratio is very dangerous in a liquid form.

Edited by Maineah

I do see the propane shut off on the larger models but not the Micro. Since no one else here has ever had one my guess the dealer sold them this upgrade and ordered it from Winnebago before the build. Dealer percentage share of upgrades is very lucrative.

Linda S