Thinking about Buying a Chinook! What to be weary of?

cmuns

Hi all, 

I took a look at this chinook today https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-toyota-chinook/7218177318.html and I am curious if y'all can point me to some things I should be cognizant of in making a decision to purchase. 

The good

- starts easily and drives well!

Some new changes:

- the front tie rods were recently replaced

- solenoid bypass for the engine (see video)

- new ball joints

Some big questions

- the brakes do not work so good. It needs significant force to stop

- rust on the bottom seems okay and only affecting the surface

- pulls to the right while driving

- coolant leak somewhere

- gas leak at pump

I would plan on doing most of the maintenance myself and feel confident in my ability to perform routine maintenance and MOST repairs

PXL_20201101_202212464.jpg

Price seems okay. I've stalked craigslist for the past 4 or so years for Chinooks. I would value it as it sits from the pictures in the 2800-3500 range.

DO NOT TRUST THE INTERNAL FABRIC POP-TOP STRAPS!!! No matter how clean, no matter how secure you might think they are.

If you buy a Chinook, mount EXTERNAL locking latches, use screws and marine-tex to secure them BEFORE driving it anywhere over 20mph. I put 2 in front and 2 in the rear. If you trailer it, throw a tie down strap over the whole top.

I have seem a near *mint* Chinook parachute it's pop-top on the freeway. I've read about countless others. It can total the whole rig if you don't have the means to re-attach the roof.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the Denver ownership club - I also do most of my own servicing.   You've probably found the "new owner checklist", I do highly recommend it - I haven't followed it right down the line, too much to fix all at once!   So I prioritized tasks & will probably have most of the items done in another couple years.   ...if your tires are 10 years old, replace replace replace.