On Shore Power, But Battery Went Dead Anyway

JustJosh

Hello everyone,

The family and I took our 86 Escaper out to a state park for the first time over Halloween weekend, and had an absolute blast. I highly recommend it if you have kids. The one quirk we ran into was that even though we were hooked up to shore power, but the house battery completely drained anyway. The plugs all continued to work fine the entire time (We had a small electric space heater going all night, and an electric hotplate worked fine for cooking). However, the house dome lights didn't work the next morning and neither did the water pump, even while still plugged in. Is this normal? Or is this a problem I need to track down? My guess is that the space heater drew so much electric that it was pulling from both shore power and the battery, but the lack of water was a bit of an interesting surprise when we attempted to use the bathroom. Thank you for any guidance here. I'm hoping we don't run into the same issue next season when we run the AC while plugged in. 

Sounds like your converter isn't converting. 110 outlets still work when hooked up but 12 volt ones don't and battery isn't getting charged. 12 volt outlets should work when shore power is hooked up even with no battery and that's not happening. Electrical is not my forte but maybe someone knows what to check.

Linda S

Volt meter, Volt meter.

You need to be able check voltages. Reading your post we're just guessing at answers.

• 2 weeks later...

The originals had an auto reset circuit breaker the newer ones or replacement chargers had two 30 amp fuses build in. Voltmeters are cheap a Harbor Freight voltmeter is like $7  once plugged in you should see razing voltage at you battery if not you have converter issues. Inside the old ones there was a relay that was activated by a the plug in voltage often they stuck. A very good upgrade to an old camper was a modern converter charge the old one lacked a lot.