Jump starts

jhdbad

Is there any problem jump starting RV with coach battery connected? While my RV is in storage it may be moved occasionally but if it needs a jump I’m curious if there may be an issue. Could I remove coach battery and still jump it to move it? Thanks

I've had my Sunrader jump started quite a few times. Never did anything to my camper battery. It's just a battery. They are made to get current to recharge. Current big enough to damage coach battery would also damage your main truck battery. Don't worry about it

Linda S

4 hours ago, jhdbad said:

Is there any problem jump starting RV with coach battery connected? While my RV is in storage it may be moved occasionally but if it needs a jump I’m curious if there may be an issue. Could I remove coach battery and still jump it to move it? Thanks

Like Linda said, it’s just another battery.

I recall years ago leaving my cab headlights on for several hours. The lights were very dim. I got in and tried to start the truck. After a couple of slow turns it started right up.

Apparently there was enough power in the truck battery to open the isolator allowing me to use the coach battery as a jumper. Never worried about low battery after that.

Edited by fred heath

A common trick is an off, monetary and on toggle switch connected to the isolator relay small terminal. Don't even have to open the hood. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 10:16 AM, Maineah said:

A common trick is an off, monetary and on toggle switch connected to the isolator relay small terminal. Don't even have to open the hood. 

but the rv batt is what powers and activates the isolator relay so if rv batt is very dead [like you left headlights on all night etc...] it cant power the relay and thus cant connect house/rv battery together to jump start.

factory isolator uses rv batt to trigger, i used a dash switch that connects the house battery power to the small terminal of isolator relay since even when depleted house batts are still 12v+

I made myself a short "jumper" cable about 6" long with a battery size crocodile clip on each end. If my motor battery dies I can jump around the isolator and start using the coach battery, but no need to move any batteries around. Quick and easy solution to this problem and $0 cost as I had all parts.