Removable Mattress Cutout - To do or not to do, that is the question

Hi Folks! I would like to have a removable mattress cutout in my Mighty Micro Spirit because #1 - I *think* it would enhance driving experience (an open space above me I *think* would feel nice), and #2 (my primary reason)- the significant ease of going from driving cabin into the motor home cabin (and vice a versa).   

Right now, there is a solid 3/4 inch sheet of plywood spanning the entire bedding area.  As you can see from the roof of the driving cabin photo, there is a cutout space there (covered by cloth by the previous owner).  So "cutting-out-the-cutout" (with a jigsaw), with careful planning, should not be very difficult. Cutting the foam (electric knife!) will be easy, too.  I can do it.  But should I do it?  Of course it's up to me, but I'd like to hear from those who have removable mattress cutouts and those who don't, the likes/dislikes, the pros and cons, before I start jigsawing away. (the last photo is a typical picture of what I'm aiming for).

Thank You!  Max 

IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

Removable_Matress_Cutout.png

On mine, the cutout part is the actual base of the upper part. But the full bed is another layer of 3/4" on top of that. I actually enjoy sleeping up there, and I never need to go through from the cab to the back, so I kept it when I rebuilt mine. That being said, if you actually use the cutout, and don't sleep up there, it saves a bit of weight and actually looks kind of pretty. 

Dason

My two-cents... I really LIKE having the factory cutout up there: it does open up the space and just feels better, less claustrophobic in a tiny RV. And, it also makes moving fore and aft much, much easier, which is important to us. I will say that there are at least two downsides, though—1) when driving, it's noisier than usual with the cutout open and 2) that portion of the mattress (the separate, cutout section) is always uncomfortable to sleep on (probably a way to fix that by upgrading the mattress and reupholstering all of it, but I haven't got there yet).

I like my cut out too. I sleep on a feather bed I added that's covered with a duvet I made out of high quality sheets. Feather bed and comforter fold back easily when I need cut out open. When sleeping I can't feel the cut out at all and another plus is to change sheets all I have to do is flip the feather bed over. 

Linda S

Simple thing I did. A sheet of 5/8" plywood cut to fit and a cut to fit foam mattress. When traveling I propped up the back edge of the mattress/plywood with a couple of 2x2. The plywood makes a smooth platform and propping up the rear edge gives you easy access. My neighbor made me a set of custom sheets out of a cut down set kings. She made pockets at each corner of the bottom and sewed the top sheet to the bottom. No cold feet in the middle of the night.