New to the place.

Freewheeler

Hi all,

Just a new face checking in. I've read a few of the posts before, but I figured I'd throw myself in. Last summer I bought a funky little motorhome, and after only a few trips, I totally fell in love with it. It's a 1981 Freewheeler. I didn't get to enjoy it much this season, I just finished fully rebuilding the overcab which was quite rotten and leaky. Man, that was a task! Next year it will be back in use, but I'm sure I will still be tinkering whenever I get the time. 

Dason

20200928_162940.jpg

20200928_162951.jpg

20201018_131746.jpg

Thanks! No Sir, it's the 5 bolt. I think I understand all the axle talk, and I know people don't like the 5 bolt, but I think mine is small enough and never fully loaded down, so I should be okay. 

No worries, your rig sits high in the rear and looks beefed up is why I asked. My rig's rear end sags and I do the occasional scrape coming out of gas stations. That having the 21 footer and the 6 lug axle, you have mine beat by a mile. 😁

It is very cute but size doesn't save you from axle failures. Have seen failures on 18 ft Sunraders and an even smaller Mirage. Helps a little to inflate inner tires 5 lbs higher than outside. Takes a little of the stress off the bearings. 

Linda S

Gary buy yourself some spring helpers. Cheapest way to get some lift and easy to do by yourself. 

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1353&zenid=cf8b9b8e13b5a30e2d8f7f991fdb50d5

Bottoming out means you have less control on the road too

Oh thanks for the link Linda, yes it's been on my radar for quite some time. I was thinking of cutting the old airbags in half and putting coil springs over them but these look much better and easier to install.

Linda,

How much lift do the spring helpers give? Do they provide lift in front and back? My 1987 Escaper is 21' long and sits way low. Like Gary, it's very easy to scrape the bottom of the hitch, and going "off road" seems like it would be nearly impossible. I'd love to lift it up some.

Thanks,

Ryan

On my 21ft Sunrader I get a 6" lift from no air to 90#.  Measured at the back bumper.  

Rear axle lift choices.

1. ZUK mod

2. New spring set, Old Man Emu seems to be very popular.

3. Timbren springs

4. Air Bags

Google is your friend

Least desirable is having your springs re arched, if you are budget constrained and have to have your springs re arched then have the shop add a new leaf to the pack.

P.S. There a few spring shops that can do a proper re arch, but it involves using a furnace to re temper the springs.

7 hours ago, Murph said:

Linda,

How much lift do the spring helpers give? Do they provide lift in front and back? My 1987 Escaper is 21' long and sits way low. Like Gary, it's very easy to scrape the bottom of the hitch, and going "off road" seems like it would be nearly impossible. I'd love to lift it up some.

Thanks,

Ryan

I have no idea. I only know it will help but does nothing for the front. This obviously isn't the best repair. It's a quick fix for a serious situation. Gary should probably replace his air bags. Replacement for the bag part only is available and cheaper than buying a new set. I don't know the condition of your springs. Are they completely flat? Are your shocks in good shape? The things that WME mentions are always the best option. 

Linda S

Shackle extensions are relatively inexpensive and will provide some decent lift as long as your leaf springs are in good shape. I made mine custom, but I’m sure you can find some commercially made with a little search on the internet. Attached are some photos of my modifications. I gained about 4” of lift with my shackles. Photo with 2 images are factory next to custom. Single image is new extension.

65DBF559-924E-4F28-80C5-95A6D86EFDCA.jpeg

2C00524C-3553-4409-9739-0B775AC88515.jpeg

22 hours ago, linda s said:

Gary should probably replace his air bags. Replacement for the bag part only is available and cheaper than buying a new set. I don't know the condition of your springs. Are they completely flat? Are your shocks in good shape? The things that WME mentions are always the best option. 

Linda S

Thanks Linda, yes my t3 airbags are old and need replacing. Though I can get them up to 90 PSI but that puts some sway into the it when an 18 wheeler passes by, make me super nervous, 50 PSI though seems just fine. Springs are semi-flat if you ask me. That said I talked with Les Schwab awhile back for repacking my rear bearing and seals. My tires are also due for replacement and those Hanooks were the best but 8 years is the time. The shocks are 8 years old too, not Bilstein but the next best. I might just get Les to do it all, tires, shocks and bags along with the bearings/seals.

Apologies to the originator for hijacking this thread.

1442794852_springs(2).jpg.3b0c8d51d80fc88fce0b1f3cf5309273.jpg

1456185203_springs(1).jpg.cc088b4b2db99a9662d940a2d22ed007.jpg

Your Freewheeler is awesome! I love the simplicity of a rock solid engine, manual transmission, short length, etc. The best motorhome is one that lets you get out and GO without too much maintenance hassle.